• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny is flu

Wolfgang

New Kit
Hi all my 8 y.o female condition is getting worse.

For 1 week she got a flu, and have a lot of mucus.

I go to the vet , the vet is not be able do anything because bunny is out of their expertise.

In here bunny is categorized an exotic animals.

When i go to the vet , he gave me the same medication for my bunny 5 years ago for flu.

And seems it’s not working, she’s stop eating and she’s breathing is heavily. (The vet told me her lungs is still okay). She’s really weak like don’t want to anything just laying on the edge of the room.

The mucus is all over their nose.

It’s a big holiday here and i can’t fing any doctors could give treatments.

Any suggestions for this ? I will for sure feed her with oxbow critical care.

If your vet can’t help, I would find a rabbit savvy vet as a matter of urgency. If this is not possible where you are, maybe your vet can get advice from one over the phone? Your bunny sounds very poorly :cry: sending lots of vibes for her.

Hi all my 8 y.o female condition is getting worse.

For 1 week she got a flu, and have a lot of mucus.

I go to the vet , the vet is not be able do anything because bunny is out of their expertise.

In here bunny is categorized an exotic animals.

When i go to the vet , he gave me the same medication for my bunny 5 years ago for flu.

And seems it’s not working, she’s stop eating and she’s breathing is heavily. (The vet told me her lungs is still okay). She’s really weak like don’t want to anything just laying on the edge of the room.

The mucus is all over their nose.

It’s a big holiday here and i can’t fing any doctors could give treatments.

Any suggestions for this ? I will for sure feed her with oxbow critical care.

I assume that you are not in the UK ?

Rabbits do not get 'Flu' or 'Colds' but they do get various bacterial respiratory tract infections. Sometimes this can also involve Dental disease.

If you are in a Country where it is 100% impossible to access Veterinary Care for your Bunny today then really all you can do is try to make sure that she keeps eating and drinking. If she is a Bunny who does not get too stressed by being handled you could try steam inhalations. Just holding a mug of steaming water by her nose and let her breathe in the vapour may help clear her sinuses and allow the mucus to drain. This suggestions is by no means a substitute for Veterinary care, but if obtaining that is impossible it is something you could try. It may be a 2 person job- one to hold Bunny and the other to hold the mug of steaming water below Bunny's nose. If this were to stress Bunny out a lot then STOP. Stress will exacerbate respiratory problems.

Another option is to create a steamy environment -eg run a very hot shower so the shower room fills with steam. Then allow Bunny to hop about in the shower room, breathing in the steam. This method avoids having to handle Bunny too much or hold a 'strange' object ( a mug of steaming water) infront of Bunny. It may be less stressful for Bunny.

Back