• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding baby with spayed adult

BattleKat

Wise Old Thumper
I'm adopting a giant male from rescue on Sunday. He is 11 weeks and can't be neutered until 5/6 months (giants take longer to mature).
My current rabbit is a medium sized female. Very easy going and loving and has never posed a problem in bonding before. That said, she has really come out of her shell since being a single bun so she may not fancy going back to a submissive role.
I've currently got a fairly large pen set up in the living room for the male to move in to so he and Lola can interact through the bars but not pose a risk to each other. Extra panels at the ready to double wall it if they show any aggression to each other.

Is it worth trying to bond them before his neuter then separate as he reaches maturity and re-bond after he's recovered from the neuter? Or is that a terrible idea? If they get along do you think having supervised "dates" together would be good for both of them or likely be distressing?

Last edited:
Females are very territorial so I would go carefully with any introductions. He ought to be neutered first and more mature otherwise she might bully him.

honestly I think (personally) its a bit pointless to bond them, then separate, then rebond again. it feels like more effort for you but also more stress on the bunnies themselves. I think general advise is to not bond until both are neutered, even if one is neutered, as likely chances are that once he hits maturity fights will happen. many people find themselves having to separate siblings when they reach maturity as they start fighting for maturity.

so I think I would advise you to wait and do a bond after he's been neutered.

ofc you could bond before, but that runs a lot of risks of them then falling out, and sometimes if they have such a huge fight its impossible to rebond again. plus bonding hormonal males can be quite the challenge!

Back