• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

combining hay and litter in a tray

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Bertie's evening output can be a bit 'ripe' so I am considering an odour absorbing litter for the base of his tray. Can you use litter and put hay on top? Bertie likes to eat while he is 'at his business' and I don't want him eating litter!

Bertie's evening output can be a bit 'ripe' so I am considering an odour absorbing litter for the base of his tray. Can you use litter and put hay on top? Bertie likes to eat while he is 'at his business' and I don't want him eating litter!
[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

I mean we use the back2nature paper pellets as litter and they're really absorbant, but obviously poop sits on top.. So Idk how helpful that'll be? You can ofc put hay on top or on one side of the tray (that's what we do)

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

I use megazorb these days but used to use wood based cat litter & I found that good for smells. my bunnies have never eaten either but I'd avoid any of the crystal or clay litters just in case

dear susiebun,--I just put timothy grasses in a large plastic box,with low sides,-and changed every few days[organic gardening]..--there are cat liters products that rabbits should never be around..sorry if this doesnot help.--sincerely james waller from across the great pond-usa

I've only ever used newspaper with hay on top, and change it every day. Treacle is a bit of a piddler, so sometimes I just add a few more layers of paper throughout the day.

I use wood pellet cat litter with hay on top and in racks at the end of the litter tray. Is it uneaten ceocotrophes that are smelly?

Thanks all. I think I'll stick with newspaper and hay for now but will keep a note of other options. I don't want to upset Bertie and possibly put him off his tray.

I use the back2nature (actually the cat version, Breeder Celect, because it's cheaper where I shop) and my rabbits don't mind the feel, but I know DemiS said her two wouldn't use the tray with it in! Mine tend to use it to dig in sometimes as well, which is fine in an outside playhouse with a lino floor, but I dunno how that would work elsewhere! Just some other considerations :)

You could try a layer of litter under the newspaper, or sandwiched with paper under it as well so it is easier to clean out.

We use the back to nature stuff with a layer of hay on. Then when I notice a big pile of poops I layer more hay. Like a poop lasagne. This seems to absorb all the smell... Buns have never tried to eat the paper pellets.

Back