• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hair pulling?

CraigBunny

New Kit
So I adopted a male bunny, called Winnie, on Sunday to bond with my female bunny, Pig. I currently have Winnie on a cage on the floor in my bedroom, Pig is free roam so they can see & smell each other through the bars. Today I set them up a run in the garden and put them in their together. Immediately Winnie, who was quite nervous, went and sat next to Pig (It was really cute) It lasted for a few seconds til Pig spun round and chased him round the run, ripping his hair out! I grabbed Winnie and put him in the carrier. There was hair everywhere!
Is this bad? Will they ever get along?

It's a good idea to have a look at some rabbit bonding videos, so that you know what to expect and how to react. There are a selection on YouTube and also on this thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?462494-Old-Useful-Topics-Bonding

Chasing and fur-pulling is usually quite normal during bonding and as long as there is no real aggression or fighting, you should just monitor the situation and be prepared to separate.

I presume that the place where you set up the run was a neutral area, where neither rabbit had been before?

So I adopted a male bunny, called Winnie, on Sunday to bond with my female bunny, Pig. I currently have Winnie on a cage on the floor in my bedroom, Pig is free roam so they can see & smell each other through the bars. Today I set them up a run in the garden and put them in their together. Immediately Winnie, who was quite nervous, went and sat next to Pig (It was really cute) It lasted for a few seconds til Pig spun round and chased him round the run, ripping his hair out! I grabbed Winnie and put him in the carrier. There was hair everywhere!
Is this bad? Will they ever get along?
dear craigbunny,-[caution]-this will require more supervision,only time will tell if they are capatable,-sometimes we are wishful thinking,--they can inflict serious wounds,--sincerely james waller from across the great pond-usa

Some females are difficult to bond in their own territory and it is best to get someone else to bond them.

Back