• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Adopting choices - to make a trio or pair.

BattleKat

Wise Old Thumper
I visited a rescue today and decided to adopt a pair of male giants from a litter of 10 week olds to bond with lola. They aren't yet neutered so won't be put together with her for several weeks but I'm planning to have them living along side each other so they can get familiar while they're still small.

But since confirming I'd like two I've been in severe panic and wondering if I should have just taken one.

Pros of two
When lola passes away they will have each other - won't have this heartbreaking single bun thing again (she's 10 but full of beans)
Until they are ready to neuter and bond they won't be alone.
I loved having a trio. In both cases everything felt so good for the rabbits.

Cons of two
Riskier/ trickier bond
More (big!) mouths to feed
Twice the chance of something going wrong in some way.

Also I've never had giants free range in the house before so I'm sure that's contributing to the panic. What if they chew everything / dig the carpets / pre everywhere? Lola is so good in the house, as was rambo.
On that note, I've also only had trios outside, never in. I'm worried that three could be overwhelming indoors.

I desperately want her to have a friend but I'm so unsure of the right thing to do here.

Help!

Eta: as I burst in to tears just now I realised that part of the problem is I'm so sad that rambo is gone. Its hard to imagine any situation feeling right that without have her in it 😭
She and lola have been so close for the last ten years, I just can't picture lola with any other rabbit. She's only ever faced new rabbits with rambo by her side protecting her.

Last edited:
I’m not sure what I’d suggest in your situation, but a single other bunny might chew/poo/pee everywhere, I remember being worried that Fern would wreck things as Frosty is generally very good, and she was fine. I’m not sure 3 would be any worse than 2 really indoors.

Have you read the trio bonding sticky, and looked at mischief and tinkers mums trio bonding videos?

Hugs to you, I know it must be very hard xx

Thanks for the reply zoobec, you are consistently a great support on here!

I read a lot about bonding a trio the previous times I did it but I can't remember if I watched the videos. I'll hunt them out!

You make a very good point that even one could be a nightmare. I think I'm very nervous about getting a new rabbit in general, and lola and I have been so close since rambo died I feel like I'll be losing her a little as well. I know it's the best thing for her but it will be a little sad for me not to have my bunny cuddle alarm clock any more.

Thanks for the reply zoobec, you are consistently a great support on here!

I read a lot about bonding a trio the previous times I did it but I can't remember if I watched the videos. I'll hunt them out!

You make a very good point that even one could be a nightmare. I think I'm very nervous about getting a new rabbit in general, and lola and I have been so close since rambo died I feel like I'll be losing her a little as well. I know it's the best thing for her but it will be a little sad for me not to have my bunny cuddle alarm clock any more.

:love: thanks, I’ve had a lot of help and support on here myself:love: the trio bonding videos are linked on this thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?462494-Old-Useful-Topics-Bonding

I know I was nervous of getting a bunny friend for Frosty, he was very bonded to me and was a single house bunny, but I knew he needed a friend of his own kind, and to be honest he’s still the same as he always was in friendliness, I’ve just got 2 bunnies wanting attention instead of 1 :love:

Up until recently I would have said go for a trio, it’s great - but a few recent events have made me wonder if a trio is the right thing. Mainly their bond, although it was an easy bond at the start, it doesn’t seem as strong now and there’s a fair bit of chasing going on sometimes. 2 get on really well, the third gets on relatively well with one of the other 2 (they are litter mates and my original pair) but I have 2 that just aren’t getting along as well as they used to. That said, potentially a pair could also have similar bond issues.

Something I would take into account about getting 2 giants is vet trips! 2 of my 3 have needed vet treatment recently involving several vet trips and stays at the vet. It is harder to get 3 in a carrier, and also to actually lift it in and out of the car - even more so if 2 are giants :lol:

I think I'm leaning more towards a single this morning. It's just such a tough decision.
Certainly the easier option right now is to get a single, it's more future proofing that's making me consider two.

My trios worked so well but they were always two small one large. I think I might find it overwhelming the other way (particularly expense-wise).
It's also different that the other times I desperately wanted the third bun but this time I really just want lola to not be on her own. I'm sure in time I'd love both boys and having a trio again but right now they're strangers to me that will, frankly, be a bit of a hassle....but how much more of a hassle for two than one? and round it goes :lol:

Last edited:
Taking into account your circumstances a trio would make sense with Lola being 10 and the new buns just babies, like you say it’s future proofing. My trio were a pair of littermates with a third bun added a year later and part of the reason for getting a third was so one wouldn’t be left on their own if something happened to the other. At the moment though if I were to lose the one that gets along with both of the others I’m not sure the remaining 2 would have a strong enough bond to continue as a pair.

It’s a hard decision, a trio is fab when everything is going smoothly but does come with slightly more expense (and sometimes worry!) :D

I notified the lady yesterday that i'll be taking a single.
I set up the pens and assessed how much space they'd have if we had to split them and decided it wouldn't be enough. I also think it'll be easier on lola to bond with just one than to bring two new comparatively huge rabbits in to her space.
90% sure it's the right decision. Bit sad. Incredibly anxious.

Hope it’s love at first sight for Lola and her new buddy. When will he be joining you?

I think you have made the best decision for you and Lola :thumb: good luck with it all :love:

Part of me was thinking it would be easier for the giants to have each other in the future but then I realised I've actually never had a rabbit die of old age. Eli we suspect choked to death age 3. Mack died of complications to anaesthetic after a jaw abscess age 3. Rambo had suspected brain tumours which caused paralysis and subsequently death age 10, but before that no signs of slowing down at all.
There are just no guarantees. I could complicate matters now by getting to two make it easier in the future and still find myself with a single in 2-3 years.

Part of me was thinking it would be easier for the giants to have each other in the future but then I realised I've actually never had a rabbit die of old age. Eli we suspect choked to death age 3. Mack died of complications to anaesthetic after a jaw abscess age 3. Rambo had suspected brain tumours which caused paralysis and subsequently death age 10, but before that no signs of slowing down at all.
There are just no guarantees. I could complicate matters now by getting to two make it easier in the future and still find myself with a single in 2-3 years.

True, and there’s no saying the remaining pair wouldn’t fall out if one died, in my experience, of my quad at least.

He's very slowly settling in so I didn't want to bombard him with the camera but I also really really wanted to take a photo of him.

The ears :love:
2q1e9hh.jpg

242dj15.jpg

Last edited:
Back