• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spring Greens

loobers25

Warren Veteran
How much do you feed a day? I have introduced it to the bunnies and they loves it. How much can they have a day? Unfortunately I can't feed kale as my mum said it has given Dennis gas in the past so I thought this may be a good and cheap idea

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

How much do you feed a day? I have introduced it to the bunnies and they loves it. How much can they have a day? Unfortunately I can't feed kale as my mum said it has given Dennis gas in the past so I thought this may be a good and cheap idea

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

If you have introduced it very gradually and they are showing no signs of problems, I would feed as much as they want. I find that if I have overfed any veg or forage, the rabbits will only eat so much and then return to it. However, if Dennis has reacted with gas in the past to Kale, perhaps you should limit it to the amount you would give if it were herbs or forage.

Also regarding Kale, it might be worth trying it again in a very small amount. The previous experience might have been just a one-off and completely not connected.

I've never (as far as I'm aware) had issues feeding spring greens but I'd rather feed forage so they only have it in winter. mine got about 2 leaves each, 1-2 a day

Bertie would get 1-2 leaves. I don't like the precut greens as they look a bit dry and don't keep as well.

My bridge bun pair loved spring greens,I would buy them in ASDA cut the base off slighty and soak them for a hour in a basin of cold water.They would crisp up great put them loosly in a poly bag.I still do this with cabbage, lettuce etc for myself.

Ah - great to see you feeding the delightful Maple and Dennis some greens. I am a well documented fan of the greens - all my buns have been fed greens and they all love them. In fact, Lillian is chomping her way through a leaf as I type.
I have found from my own experience, that they do prefer the dark green leaves best. They probably have the most flavour and if I put lighter coloured leaves in, they get left.
So, what I do for Hillian, is this - I get 3 or 4 leaves at night time, rip them up to reasonable sizes, and get a small handful of fresh parley and put that in the middle of the leaves. Then roll the leaves up making a sort of cabbage/parsley roulade, then cut it into portions and put it out for Hillian. It makes them work a bit for what they want and they absolutely love it.
I used to feed Kale - it is full of vitamins but it also gave lillian a runny tummy. Spinach too, is good but again, only in very very small quantities so they get a small few leaves of spinnach every few days, no kale, greens and parley twice a day and the occasional carrot shaving.

not spring greens, but i find they love brocolli stalks. even better than the florets :D

mine too. They love the stick that sprouts grow off too - especially when they gnaw down to the centre

When our Kale plants have finished producing leaves and we pull them up, the rabbits have a couple each day and they do the same :)

Ah - great to see you feeding the delightful Maple and Dennis some greens. I am a well documented fan of the greens - all my buns have been fed greens and they all love them. In fact, Lillian is chomping her way through a leaf as I type.
I have found from my own experience, that they do prefer the dark green leaves best. They probably have the most flavour and if I put lighter coloured leaves in, they get left.
So, what I do for Hillian, is this - I get 3 or 4 leaves at night time, rip them up to reasonable sizes, and get a small handful of fresh parley and put that in the middle of the leaves. Then roll the leaves up making a sort of cabbage/parsley roulade, then cut it into portions and put it out for Hillian. It makes them work a bit for what they want and they absolutely love it.
I used to feed Kale - it is full of vitamins but it also gave lillian a runny tummy. Spinach too, is good but again, only in very very small quantities so they get a small few leaves of spinnach every few days, no kale, greens and parley twice a day and the occasional carrot shaving.

Ever thought of going on Masterchef Craig ? :lol:

Ever thought of going on Masterchef Craig ? :lol:

Love it - Love your sense of humour PM. I do all the cooking at home and regard myself as 'competant' in the kitchen. But I admire those who have the patience and time and resourcefulness to go on masterchef.

Back