• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What does this behaviour mean?

Misty'sMum

New Kit
Hi all, we have just adopted a rabbit, following our 11 year old bun passing away and we are in the process of bonding her with our existing neutered boy. Our new rabbit is w, very feisty and lively (the rescue called her sassy!) and bonding is a slow process. I've noticed she does a particular behaviour when someone approaches her (rabbit or human) and I'm hoping you can help me work out what it means. She very briefly dips her ears towards her back but not low enough or long enough that they sit there - it's almost like it's a gesture to convey something. She then carried on with the greeting and there doesn't seem to be any aggression that follows. I noticed she did it a few times when we introduced her to our (calm and bunny savvy dog) through the double wire set up and she gets on well with her now. Any thoughts? She was kept in a shed, hoarded at a pet shop so I wonder if she is just worried about everything new. Any thoughts? Thanks :)

Hi all, we have just adopted a rabbit, following our 11 year old bun passing away and we are in the process of bonding her with our existing neutered boy. Our new rabbit is w, very feisty and lively (the rescue called her sassy!) and bonding is a slow process. I've noticed she does a particular behaviour when someone approaches her (rabbit or human) and I'm hoping you can help me work out what it means. She very briefly dips her ears towards her back but not low enough or long enough that they sit there - it's almost like it's a gesture to convey something. She then carried on with the greeting and there doesn't seem to be any aggression that follows. I noticed she did it a few times when we introduced her to our (calm and bunny savvy dog) through the double wire set up and she gets on well with her now. Any thoughts? She was kept in a shed, hoarded at a pet shop so I wonder if she is just worried about everything new. Any thoughts? Thanks :)

Hi, it's difficult to say really. A rabbit is said to be worried/frightened if it puts its ears towards its back, but the ears aren't touching. If they are touching then it means that the rabbit is relaxed. As your rabbit is doing it for a very short while, then I agree with you it could mean that she is wary about anything new, but then relaxes. Have a look the next time she does it to see if the ears are touching or not.

I hope that the bonding process with your boy is successful.

Back