Thread: Storing forage

Warren Scout

Default Storing forage

For those of you who forage but don't have time every day how do you store it and how long does it last?

Atm I've got brambles, Thistle, Sow thistle, Dandilion leaves, herb Robert and the sticky bud stuff. I've lined a plastic tub with newspaper and I figured it should last a few days and worse case scenario it will just start to dry out?

Thanks

Amy

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzwizz619 View Post
    For those of you who forage but don't have time every day how do you store it and how long does it last?

Atm I've got brambles, Thistle, Sow thistle, Dandilion leaves, herb Robert and the sticky bud stuff. I've lined a plastic tub with newspaper and I figured it should last a few days and worse case scenario it will just start to dry out?

Thanks

Amy
    I sometimes store some in the fridge in a plastic bag, but it's past its best after about 3 days. Brambles seem to last a couple of days longer.

The only foraging I do is in the garden but I would imagine as Omi says in a plastic bag in the fridge it should keep for a couple of days. Another option could be to dry some, though obviously no good if you want fresh food.
    Beyond keeping it refridgerated I can't think of a way that you could keep it longer without drying it sadly.
    If you keep it in the fridge make sure you wash it first and keep some of the water on (not soaking, just don't shake it off before bagging) - it helps keep most herbs/leaves etc fresh without wilting

I generally just pick what Bertie will eat in a couple of days, and dry the rest if possible.