• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Anti Lice / Flea Medicine

Eloise6

New Kit
Hi I have rabbits which free roam in my (safe and enclosed) garden. It was suggested to me that I might want to buy some drops to go on the back of their necks to prevent them getting lice / fleas.

I have bought some Beaphar "spot on" drops but reading the packet it looks as though it is for if a rabbit already HAS fleas. So my question is this - do rabbits need preventative medicine for this? And if so, can I use this product or is there something different anyone has used? I'm not so worried about the cost, it's more I don't want to accidently poisen them 😕 Btw they are never in contact with dogs or chickens (which I hear are common sources of fleas) but I have seen a couple of cats in there from time to time, as well as birds and a hedgehog.

I have never seen fleas on rabbits so have never treated them for fleas, even though I sometimes have to treat the cats or dogs.
Personally, I don't see the need for preventative flea treatment for rabbits. If they are groomed regularly (eg weekly), you will pick up any infestations and these can be dealt with then.

Rabbit owners are often offered treatment to prevent flystrike as well. Again, daily bum checks and good management are better for a healthy, mobile rabbit. Some rabbits are more prone to flystrike and may benefit until the problem is managed, where possible (eg less mobile, incontinent, prone to dirty bum, open wounds, etc.)

I agree with Shimmer :thumb: also, I wouldn’t personally use anything on my rabbit without it being prescribed by the vet.

My mums rabbit did get fleas once, but then again she is 10(!) so glad to hear it is rare. Thanks for the fast responses 😊 I will keep the medicine in reserve then.

def what others have said, its super uncommon for rabbits to get fleas, and if they do its usually brought in via an outside source (dog, cat) rather than directly on them.

along with that, theres some speculation that beaphar doesn't even work. the only ones that are considered 'proper' for animals are frontline and advantage, most other knock off brands either do nothing or cause skin issues. I think advantage is one of the only ones licensed for rabbits in the UK. in all honesty I would probably urge/advise you to throw it out as I don't think it would do any good. I would only take medicine for fleas advised or prescribed by a vet, for instance our vet recommended advantage and we got it online for cheaper when the cat brought in fleas. most others, while cheaper, are dangerous or just a waste of money tbh!

Back