Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vibes and advice for Fizzgig please- Dental issues

I have two dental bunnies and they often take a couple weeks after their dental to eat normally, and that is without any ulcers or infections.
    Jane has given you lots of wonderful advice and useful links to information, so I cannot add anything more in regards to care/treatment.
    Allow me to add some positive vibes for your special bunny.

Thanks everyone.

Hope everything gets better. X

Thank you. She's still struggling with hay but is nibbling grass and managing better with a range of garden weeds/wildflowers like golden rod etc

I guess I am struggling to work out how much I should give her of the things I know she can eat vs encouraging her to eat hay and grass. I have mixed in the weeds with the hay and grass in their litter trays. I have another appointment with the vet tomorrow where I will ask about giving her some ranitidine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittykat23uk View Post
    Thank you. She's still struggling with hay but is nibbling grass and managing better with a range of garden weeds/wildflowers like golden rod etc

I guess I am struggling to work out how much I should give her of the things I know she can eat vs encouraging her to eat hay and grass. I have mixed in the weeds with the hay and grass in their litter trays. I have another appointment with the vet tomorrow where I will ask about giving her some ranitidine.
    For now I would let her eat what she is able to eat. Hay may never be big on the menu going forward, but grass is just as good and the most important thing at this stage is that she is eating enough to keep her GI tract ticking over.

''Realise deeply that the present moment is all you have. Make the 'now' the primary focus of your life'' ~ Eckhart Tolle

Thanks Jane. She's definitely eating with more enthusiasm now, especially grass which is a good sign.
    OI000001.jpg by Jo Dale, on Flickr

It is good to know she is eating better. Sending more positive vibes.

Hi all. Well we've been giving Fizzgig daily metacam and ranitidine since her dental in May and this past weekend I noticed she has a weepy eye. We took her to the vet on Tuesday and she couldn't see anything obviously wrong with her teeth beyond the existing chronic issues of the slightly elongated crowns and we know she has elongated roots and a pocket where she's had a tooth removed in the past, she couldn't see any spurs or abscess. She gave us two options, to flush the tear duct under local anaesthetic or to give her a GA and investigate her teeth. As she is eating well and given that she took nearly 2 weeks to recover from her last dental I was reluctant to put her under so we have gone for the first option. The vet advised the procedure went quite well and pointed out a lump where she said the tear duct was a bit swollen from the liquid draining. She's to go back in a week for a check up. meanwhile we have some drops to put in her eye twice a day. We also can't get hold of anymore ranitidine at present as it seems to have been recalled owing to safety issues. How soon should I hope to see some improvement in her eye?
    OI000001.jpg by Jo Dale, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Kittykat23uk View Post
    Hi all. Well we've been giving Fizzgig daily metacam and ranitidine since her dental in May and this past weekend I noticed she has a weepy eye. We took her to the vet on Tuesday and she couldn't see anything obviously wrong with her teeth beyond the existing chronic issues of the slightly elongated crowns and we know she has elongated roots and a pocket where she's had a tooth removed in the past, she couldn't see any spurs or abscess. She gave us two options, to flush the tear duct under local anaesthetic or to give her a GA and investigate her teeth. As she is eating well and given that she took nearly 2 weeks to recover from her last dental I was reluctant to put her under so we have gone for the first option. The vet advised the procedure went quite well and pointed out a lump where she said the tear duct was a bit swollen from the liquid draining. She's to go back in a week for a check up. meanwhile we have some drops to put in her eye twice a day. We also can't get hold of anymore ranitidine at present as it seems to have been recalled owing to safety issues. How soon should I hope to see some improvement in her eye?
    Hello

Any active infection in her tear duct should respond (start to improve) to abx treatment within a few days, BUT if her tooth root elongation has progressed (which is often the case in chronic Dental Disease) then she may always have a weepy eye (Dacryocystitis) which will need long term management.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00d...itisRabbit.htm

Sending vibes xx

''Realise deeply that the present moment is all you have. Make the 'now' the primary focus of your life'' ~ Eckhart Tolle

I had a few bunnies with tear duct issues and they were all different. One improved almost immediately, even without drops; the second had eye drops for inflammation and improved though still had some tearing; the vet was not able to complete the flush on the third because it had an obstruction. All lived good lives with a bit of support.
    Sending vibes your bunny will be tear free very soon.