• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay Rattle / Yellow Rattle? Found in hay

~ILoveMyBunny~

Alpha Buck
Hey everyone,
Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this? My latest bag of timothy hay is absolutely full of a dried flower/plant which I'm 99% sure I've identified thanks to google as hay rattle (aka yellow rattle)
I've been picking it out but it's full of it and when the 'buds' open the seeds go everywhere.. Just wondering if anyone knows if it's safe or toxic for the buns? I've googled but can't find anything :(
I've seen some places say it seems safe for horses/livestock, though a few others say otherwise. Beyond that I can't seem to get any info and certainly nothing for rabbits :(

Hey everyone,
Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this? My latest bag of timothy hay is absolutely full of a dried flower/plant which I'm 99% sure I've identified thanks to google as hay rattle (aka yellow rattle)
I've been picking it out but it's full of it and when the 'buds' open the seeds go everywhere.. Just wondering if anyone knows if it's safe or toxic for the buns? I've googled but can't find anything :(
I've seen some places say it seems safe for horses/livestock, though a few others say otherwise. Beyond that I can't seem to get any info and certainly nothing for rabbits :(

Where is your hay from? The reason I ask is because I have been finding a weird plant with yellow flowers and comes from a bulb in my timothy hay. Every time I get a handful of of hay I just assume that anything that isn't hay is toxic and I sort through it which is incredibly annoying. I have ordered 3 bags of timothy hay that's supposed to be delivered today so hopefully they are better but so far it has been the summer 2018 stalky hay which every bag so far has had bulby plants and yellow flowers. I ordered the soft green hay and oat hay so claws crossed they are better

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It does certainly look like Yellow Rattle, by comparing your pics with Google images. I really have no idea whether it is safe for rabbits or not and researching it online doesn't provide anything definite.

If it were me, I would contact your supplier and tell them of your concerns.

Same place as you Loobers :p I contacted them a bit before I managed to ID the plant and they've been so wonderful about it. They had no idea what it was either but offered to replace the bag for me and advised not to feed as they weren't sure, though they also googled it and came up with the same plant so I'm pretty sure that's what it is.
I've also found a couple of small yellow flowers in this batch but I assumed they were buttercups and pulled them out.
I don't blame the seller, I've been buying their hay long enough and I know they take great care - these things do happen with natural products. And they've been wonderful about the whole thing and got back to me very quickly.
I hope you get a good batch but might be a good idea to check it extra thoroughly!

I'm desperately hoping it's unrelated, but Jazzie has gone down with stasis today :( I did check her hay well last night so I hope it's coincidence.. She had her nails clipped before I went to bed last night and I'm hoping it's that that's stressed her rather than a toxic plant. Vet had never heard of it but I made sure she was aware in case. Poor girl's in overnight. Should have seen the look she gave me as I left her, it was like "seriously, you're leaving me here again?"
Felt so awful :(

Regarding Twigs, I don't like to bother her - she was very busy last time I saw her post, iirc?
I guess it's best to treat it as toxic until proven otherwise. I was just wondering if anyone knew of it. I certianly had never heard of it before. Interestingly I shook one and it does indeed rattle (the seeds inside are loose) so I guess that goes along with the ID.

Same place as you Loobers :p I contacted them a bit before I managed to ID the plant and they've been so wonderful about it. They had no idea what it was either but offered to replace the bag for me and advised not to feed as they weren't sure, though they also googled it and came up with the same plant so I'm pretty sure that's what it is.
I've also found a couple of small yellow flowers in this batch but I assumed they were buttercups and pulled them out.
I don't blame the seller, I've been buying their hay long enough and I know they take great care - these things do happen with natural products. And they've been wonderful about the whole thing and got back to me very quickly.
I hope you get a good batch but might be a good idea to check it extra thoroughly!

I'm desperately hoping it's unrelated, but Jazzie has gone down with stasis today :( I did check her hay well last night so I hope it's coincidence.. She had her nails clipped before I went to bed last night and I'm hoping it's that that's stressed her rather than a toxic plant. Vet had never heard of it but I made sure she was aware in case. Poor girl's in overnight. Should have seen the look she gave me as I left her, it was like "seriously, you're leaving me here again?"
Felt so awful :(

Regarding Twigs, I don't like to bother her - she was very busy last time I saw her post, iirc?
I guess it's best to treat it as toxic until proven otherwise. I was just wondering if anyone knew of it. I certianly had never heard of it before. Interestingly I shook one and it does indeed rattle (the seeds inside are loose) so I guess that goes along with the ID.

Lots of vibes for Jazzie - i hope she is on the road to recovery & home soon

dear -ilovemybunny,-noxious weeds grow with the good bun grasses,thusly are baled/bundled with said goodbun grasses,--it is good you isolated/included pictures of the weed,-however it is not identified,-one must not assume none toxic,--urge caution until identified,-there are websites for plant idendification,and/or call-ask [where purchased].--there are also producers on the web like oxbow which deliver great grasses,--sincerely james waller from across the great pond-usa

Back