• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Day One worries!

We have got our bunnies home. The white is Marshmallow and the black and white is Birthday Cake! Affectionately named by our kids.

Just a couple of thoughts you guys might be able to help me with.

1. We have a big shed with 2 levels. Birthday Cake can navigate up and down the the ramp absolutely fine but Marshmallow is very very nervous of coming down once up! I have set up their sleeping area, hay, hide etc downstairs and a play area upstairs. I'm concerned if I add hay and a litter tray upstairs Marshmallow won't even attempt to come down?

2. Any tips for litter training?

3. Any tips for just generally helping bunnies settle and what to expect?

I have a week off work so I'm around to check on them regularly and put in the work!

Thanks!
a71ab77200914d5977afae586852f833.jpg
90eaee0a85ab2d4b27a029656e9becb1.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Gorgeous bunnies. I would just give them time to explore and get used to their new home. It sounds lovely. To encourage them to use a litter tray put some hay on top of the paper, or whatever you are going to use, and this usually works. Rabbits like to chew while they do their toilet. Just act normally around them, say hello to them and they will soon start to feel more settled. Do you know what sex they are and how old? Do you know about vaccinations. They will need one vaccine for RHD2 (which also covers RHD1), and another vaccination for Myxo/RHD1. These must be given with 2 weeks inbetween. There is lots of info on the Rabbit Welfare Association's website.

Thank you! I'm trying to be chilled, but constant worry of doing something harmful!

Yes they are off to the vets mid week for full check and jabs.

2 boys, siblings. I'm terrified of them fighting so will be getting them neutered asap. We have very little provision to separate them. So if it happens we will have to act really fast and get some sort of help asap!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Aww they are lovely :love:, welcome to the forum. I'd just give them time to settle down, everything being all so new

They're absolutely gorgeous! [emoji7][emoji7][emoji7]

I agree with everything tonibun said, dw they'll settle in and get the hang of things :)

Oh love the names btw [emoji7][emoji38]

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

What gorgeous bunnies ! I'm sure once they've settled in and got used to their new surroundings, they will be fine. Good luck with their vet visit !

Gorgeous :love: how old are they? I find litter training babies quite difficult until they are neutered. I currently have a trio of 15 week old males and despite having 7 litter trays in the shed & run I still have to sweep up at least once a day :? I wipe up pee and leave the tissue in a litter tray and put some swept up poop in there too. So far they are totally ignoring my efforts :lol: but it does usually work eventually.

I have tubes going up to the levels in my shed which seems to work well as some foster rabbits aren’t sure about jumping up and down at first. Mine are just drainage tubes secured to the shed wall. I think your bunnies should get used to the ramp fairly quickly though, it can sometimes take a week or so for my new foster rabbits to fully explore the shed.

As for settling them in, I would just spend some time just sitting in the shed with them but initially not trying to touch them or pick them up. They will normally be curious enough to approach you and have a good sniff and maybe a little nibble :lol: Lets you get an idea of their normal behaviour too so that you can quickly spot unusual behaviour which might be potentially a sign of illness.

Hope their vet visit goes well. Enjoy getting to know your new fluffy family members :D

Back