• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does Forage Count As 10% of Bunny's Greens?

Beapig

Mama Doe
Right now, my bunnies get a portion of spinach, kale and cabbage for breakfast every morning as their 10% of diet requirement. What I'm wondering is if pure forage is an adequate alternative? There are so many wild dandelions, brambles and herb robert around at the moment that I'd be really keen to change up their diet to save on money and plastic. I am growing my own spinach and kale too, but that is a work in progress right now.

Usually my bunnies get a cereal bowl each of the above greens, so my question is, would wild forage in the same quantities be suitable? I understand that diet change should be gradual. I'm also growing them parsely, coriander etc at home, but once again that is a work in progress so I'm not self sufficient on that front yet.

Forage is what they would eat in the wild. There is a lot about at the moment, so go for it. Introduce new stuff gradually, as usual. Most forage will probably be higher in fibre than greens we eat.

Right now, my bunnies get a portion of spinach, kale and cabbage for breakfast every morning as their 10% of diet requirement. What I'm wondering is if pure forage is an adequate alternative? There are so many wild dandelions, brambles and herb robert around at the moment that I'd be really keen to change up their diet to save on money and plastic. I am growing my own spinach and kale too, but that is a work in progress right now.

Usually my bunnies get a cereal bowl each of the above greens, so my question is, would wild forage in the same quantities be suitable? I understand that diet change should be gradual. I'm also growing them parsely, coriander etc at home, but once again that is a work in progress so I'm not self sufficient on that front yet.

In my view yes :) My rabbits get a mixture of veg, herbs and forage, but the proportions vary depending on the time of year. At the moment they get mostly forage, with a smaller amount of Kale and herbs. During the Winter months when the wild plants aren't so plentiful, then the amount of Kale and herbs will increase. I also feed tree leaves and fresh grass when they are available.

Thank you Shimmer and Omi, this is most informative :D Yes, totally makes sense that in the wild they would only eat wild plants. And actually, I find that my bunnies get much more excited for herb robert and bramble leaves than any other leafy greens.

Back