• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Pen Size

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
How much space should I start with to bond 4 bunnies (all medium sized, 2-5k )? Should they be able to have enough room to hop round?

Hmm, well that’s a difficult question. When I bonded my quad (2 pairs FF + MM) I started in an approximate 4x3ft xxl dog crate but I think it depends on the bunnies and what their temperaments are like. These were all small bunnies though, all 1.5 kg or less and there was still room for chasing. I think my thinking was to limit chasing opportunities as much as possible and promote togetherness.

I wouldn’t use a crate again (I use a puppy pen ) as it was difficult to intervene but luckily I didn’t need to.....

I used a large puppy pen and five hay filled litter trays for 4 rabbits (2 x m and 2 x f). Lots of forage.

Good luck!

I used a large puppy pen and five hay filled litter trays for 4 rabbits (2 x m and 2 x f). Lots of forage.

Good luck!

Thanks Tulsi! I'm so pleased its foraging season as it was a lifesaver bonding the trio. Is your bonding story on here?

Here is a current picture of my lounge aka set -up :lol:
l3ekeh9l.jpg

The room divide is what I bought to double up as a bonding pen. I'm a little anxious about using litter trays as thats where Rudey & Joey fought. I might just put a waterproof base down then loads of hay

Thanks Tulsi! I'm so pleased its foraging season as it was a lifesaver bonding the trio. Is your bonding story on here?

Here is a current picture of my lounge aka set -up :lol:
l3ekeh9l.jpg
[/IMG]

The room divide is what I bought to double up as a bonding pen. I'm a little anxious about using litter trays as thats where Rudey & Joey fought. I might just put a waterproof base down then loads of hay

Yes, for the quad bond I just had the base of my XXl dog crate lined with newspaper with woodpellet cat litter on top and a huge pile of hay/forage in the middle. Never will I ever use wood pellets in bonding again, during chasing theygot kicked everywhere and it’s amazing how far they go at speed flung across laminate floor :shock: I didn’t use litter trays until they went into their shed once the bond was established. When bonding Frosty and Fern I used a huge litter tray at first but I took it out straight away as only one would sit in it at a time and I thought it was becoming a territory to be claimed.

I had a double take at Rudey and the Dutch bunny, I thought they were a pair!

I hope you and your OH aren’t separated by the puppy pen ? :lol:

I had a double take at Rudey and the Dutch bunny, I thought they were a pair!

I hope you and your OH aren’t separated by the puppy pen ? :lol:

We are indeed as someone is obliged to be in Rudeys bit for the purposes of inclusion. Its a dream though compared to the mahoosive MPH divide we started with

I attach a photo for your amusement

6Qj5XJ5l.jpg

It was not so easy to watch tele or have a conversation from Rudeys side. (we only switched sides a few times as Mousey has specific needs re:litter tray arrangement, no tunnels, thick floor coverings)

Everyone I know thinks I'm bonkers & I'm inclined to agree

[/B]

We are indeed as someone is obliged to be in Rudeys bit for the purposes of inclusion. Its a dream though compared to the mahoosive MPH divide we started with

I attach a photo for your amusement

6Qj5XJ5l.jpg
[/IMG]

It was not so easy to watch tele or have a conversation from Rudeys side. (we only switched sides a few times as Mousey has specific needs re:litter tray arrangement, no tunnels, thick floor coverings)

Everyone I know thinks I'm bonkers & I'm inclined to agree

You aren’t bonkers! That’s like something I’d do :lol:

Back