• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding advice?

belly

Young Bun
Hey all, I’ve adopted a rabbit after a friends father passed away. He’s a nice albeit quiet bun.

I’ve picked up a doe and she’s very lively in comparison. I’ve done the side by side and environmental swaps and all ok.

Started with 15 min dates. No aggression but a little humping. Yesterday they had 70mins together, no humping just cuddles, washing, eating together. Perfect date.

Today however was back to the humping and no washing. It’s mainly the doe who’s being difficult. Does this pass? Any other tips/advice?

(Both are neutered btw)

Hey all, I’ve adopted a rabbit after a friends father passed away. He’s a nice albeit quiet bun.

I’ve picked up a doe and she’s very lively in comparison. I’ve done the side by side and environmental swaps and all ok.

Started with 15 min dates. No aggression but a little humping. Yesterday they had 70mins together, no humping just cuddles, washing, eating together. Perfect date.

Today however was back to the humping and no washing. It’s mainly the doe who’s being difficult. Does this pass? Any other tips/advice?

(Both are neutered btw)

Hello

It is usually best not to keep separating the Rabbits as each new introduction will basically be starting from the very beginning all over again. Do you have a neutral area where both Rabbits can remain together under close supervision. Humping and thumping is normal in the early stages of a bond and it is usually not necessary to intervene or stop this behaviour.

These links may be useful to read

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/bonding-rabbits/

http://www.actionforrabbits.co.uk/bonding.html

I agree with JJ :thumb: once they are together you will hopefully find the bond progresses nicely :thumb:

Cheers folks! I'd previously read the top link with regards to the dating and such.

I've setup a new neutral space and fingers crossed!

I’ve always separated rabbits during bonding, starting off with a short period of time together and building it up to longer periods until I felt they were happy together. I’ve never had a problem with bonding, only a few cases where the rabbits obviously didn’t like each other and never would. I’ve also never had a bond break down once formed. I just make sure I bond in a run neither has dominance over.

I think there’s many different ways of bonding rabbits and some people will swear by one method over all others. Some people will just be guided by their gut instincts about their rabbits and change the method depending on how the rabbits respond. All the methods seem to work in the end. You know your bunnies best and whatever method feels right to you, is probably the right one. Good luck x

Thanks all, there’s been no aggression just excessive humping. So really wanted to monitor that.

I’ve had them together all day today since 10am and let them just hump it out (within reason) they seem quite settled now so fingers crossed!

I’ve always separated rabbits during bonding, starting off with a short period of time together and building it up to longer periods until I felt they were happy together. I’ve never had a problem with bonding, only a few cases where the rabbits obviously didn’t like each other and never would. I’ve also never had a bond break down once formed. I just make sure I bond in a run neither has dominance over.

I've been fretting about this so it warms my heart to hear this p.o.v., especially from a respected rescue.

Thanks all, there’s been no aggression just excessive humping. So really wanted to monitor that.

I’ve had them together all day today since 10am and let them just hump it out (within reason) they seem quite settled now so fingers crossed!

Sounds like they'll be fine & you'll soon have 2 happily loved up bunnies, there is nothing better:love:

Back