• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay rack for indoor buns

Buzzwizz619

Warren Scout
What's a good hay rack for indoor buns that doesn't cost a fortune but will reduce the amount of hay getting absolutely everywhere 😂

At the moment I've got hay in a bag dispenser thing from Poundland but he only really eats from the base of his tree thing that has carrots hanging from it.

I use 32 litre underbed storage boxes for all my rabbits. They are lined with newspaper and hay.

I also have magazine racks for hay for both my rabbits and guinea pigs;

30v12qg.jpg

i73die.jpg

Hay still gets around though!

At this precise moment I am excitedly waiting on a delivery of hay racks from MPH :D I’m changing their pen to fully perspex panels, it’s currently partly perspex & partly puppy pen panels as I haven’t got round to finishing making all the perspex ones yet :oops: Their hay was in an Ikea bag holder hung on the bars of the puppy pen above the litter tray but now just in their litter tray (underbed storage box) until the new hay racks are here.

I looked for alternatives but decided the MPH ones may be best at keeping the hay contained. I did consider making my own version but in the end I knew it would take me too long to get round to it! I think it’s difficult to find anything that would keep the hay tidy unfortunately. I have one of these for them too which I use without the stand but it makes a lot of mess! https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0041O5F3S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

At this precise moment I am excitedly waiting on a delivery of hay racks from MPH :D I’m changing their pen to fully perspex panels, it’s currently partly perspex & partly puppy pen panels as I haven’t got round to finishing making all the perspex ones yet :oops: Their hay was in an Ikea bag holder hung on the bars of the puppy pen above the litter tray but now just in their litter tray (underbed storage box) until the new hay racks are here.

I looked for alternatives but decided the MPH ones may be best at keeping the hay contained. I did consider making my own version but in the end I knew it would take me too long to get round to it! I think it’s difficult to find anything that would keep the hay tidy unfortunately. I have one of these for them too which I use without the stand but it makes a lot of mess! https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0041O5F3S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I’m liking the sound of the bunny home improvements:love: I’ve seen the hay ball you linked, and imagined it would be a bit like a hay Catherine wheel :lol:

I use a long handled dustpan and brush to clean up hay. Why is it that hay is not edible if it’s on the floor, but as soon as it’s in a bin bag it’s irresistible:lol:

I’ve found a good hay is best for less mess and waste :thumb: mine prefer Timothy hay from Timothy hay.co.uk and any from nature’s own, but especially the sweet green hay:thumb:

I’m liking the sound of the bunny home improvements:love: I’ve seen the hay ball you linked, and imagined it would be a bit like a hay Catherine wheel :lol:

I’ve never actually used it on the stand as I imagine it might get frustrating for them if they are trying to get hay out and the ball keeps spinning round :lol: They actually quite like playing with the ball too even when it’s empty so it’s been one of my more useful bunny purchases.

I’ve never actually used it on the stand as I imagine it might get frustrating for them if they are trying to get hay out and the ball keeps spinning round :lol: They actually quite like playing with the ball too even when it’s empty so it’s been one of my more useful bunny purchases.
:lol: my current bunnies aren’t bothered about balls but it sounds like yours like them:love:

I just use a heavy ceramic mixing bowl (the type you make cakes in). Has reduced spillages quite a lot as the hay can't very easily fall out. The buns quite often sit in the bowl to eat.

Back