• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Intubating a Rabbit During a GA

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Has anyone been told that the risks associated with Rabbit anaesthesia are INCREASED if the Rabbit is intubated ? :shock: :?

NB This was NOT told to me by my usual Vet

No, I was under the impression intubation was best policy and had this confirmed by my current vet. But previous vets didn't do this for rabbits I don't think.

No, I was under the impression intubation was best policy and had this confirmed by my current vet.

I despair that there are still Vets who, frankly, should not be permitted to carry out any procedures on Rabbits !! Over the last 2 weeks I have had some real eye openers and I realise how lucky I am to have my Rabbit Savvy Vet.

I despair that there are still Vets who, frankly, should not be permitted to carry out any procedures on Rabbits !! Over the last 2 weeks I have had some real eye openers and I realise how lucky I am to have my Rabbit Savvy Vet.

I've been through my fair share of vet practices to say I've not actually owned that many rabbits! Had some shocking experiences like you say, gutted when I moved from West to East Yorkshire so therefore had to leave my brilliant vets behind.

I've been through my fair share of vet practices to say I've not actually owned that many rabbits! Had some shocking experiences like you say, gutted when I moved from West to East Yorkshire so therefore had to leave my brilliant vets behind.

I am beyond shocked at what I have encountered over the last couple of weeks. What makes me even more cross is the attitude of some of the Vets when challenged about their 'advice'. If Rabbits are the 3rd most popular Pet then why is it still so hard to find a 'Small Animal Veterinary Practice' that offers a standard of care for Rabbits that equates to that given to Dogs and Cats.

One Vet wanted to stick a Nobivac Vaccine into a Rabbit without doing any prior health checks at all. All he wanted to know was the Rabbit's name :shock: Then he wanted to charge £45.00 for the consultation.

I am not usually one for 'Vet Bashing' and I realise many Vets are truly dedicated Professionals. But if a particular Vet/Practice knows :censored: all about Rabbits they should not treat them.

In the last week I have also been 'advised' that RHD2 is only a problem for Wild Rabbits :shock:

My 'Research' has provided some very worrying results :cry:

I guess there’s always a risk of trauma of intubating anything - I’m sure there’s discussions as to whether cats have a higher GA risk from intubation for short procedures when compared with a face mask. Plus it must increase the resistance to respiration due to the narrow sizes used. However I agree it maintains an airway for oxygen provision and respiratory support but whether it’s gold standard is debateable. V-gels are also available but again without use of capnography for monitoring they can displace quite easily!

Last edited:
Back