• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shade for rabbit run

KarenM

Administrator
Staff member
Has anybody used greenhouse shade netting? Did it work? Is it too dark? Any other cheap ideas?

Freddie (cat) is going to need to be in a catio for a few weeks while we have major work done on the house & I'm looking for cheap ideas to provide some shade for him.

Has anybody used greenhouse shade netting? Did it work? Is it too dark? Any other cheap ideas?

Freddie (cat) is going to need to be in a catio for a few weeks while we have major work done on the house & I'm looking for cheap ideas to provide some shade for him.
Sun umbrella? [emoji38] We use that for the buns, or a sheet or something :)

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Yes, I use greenhouse shading for the rabbit accommodation. It works well. You can get different densities. I have usually bought off-cuts so not been sure what density but have purposely bought 50% shading when had the option. If it's not providing enough shade you can double it up. I like it a lot as it still provides a decent amount of air flow (especially if you position it a short distance away from the mesh).

I thought of my parasol but it won't be tall enough as the run is 6ft high. [emoji23][emoji23] Plus I might need it myself lol.

Zoobec, that's the kind of stuff I was looking at. :)

Bunny Buddy, I think the first one I found was 40%. I didn't think of doubling it up though so thanks for the tip.

Thanks all. When I had bunnies, they were close to the house in the shade so it wasn't an issue. We need to site the catio well away from the house because we don't want Freddie to be sat right next to all the banging and drilling going on but the far end of the garden is a bit of a suntrap! I might try some sheets on the roof with some netting on the side.

I thought of my parasol but it won't be tall enough as the run is 6ft high. [emoji23][emoji23] Plus I might need it myself lol.

Zoobec, that's the kind of stuff I was looking at. :)

Bunny Buddy, I think the first one I found was 40%. I didn't think of doubling it up though so thanks for the tip.

Thanks all. When I had bunnies, they were close to the house in the shade so it wasn't an issue. We need to site the catio well away from the house because we don't want Freddie to be sat right next to all the banging and drilling going on but the far end of the garden is a bit of a suntrap! I might try some sheets on the roof with some netting on the side.
Sounds like a good plan :D

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

What about a little hidey house too ? My cat used a wooden rabbit one to sleep in out of choice :lol:you could use a big cardboard box!

Freddie loves a box. [emoji23][emoji23]

We've got a wooden cat tower for outdoors with a couple of levels including a hideout so I'm going to put that in there. We've also already made a cat scratching post out of a traffic cone. [emoji23]

He doesn't mind getting wet so I might need to set up a sprinkler system for him. [emoji23][emoji23]

i would think greenhouse shading would be good - as long as they're not likely to get caught up in it.
i bought some from Wilko. £7 i think, for 10metres. i think it's 2m wide, so there's quite a lot of it!

it's too big for my g/h though & i didn't want to cut it so for the g/h i have some door fly screen from Home Bargins. it's more like house windows nets but black. £2.99 each (it's 2 lengths approx 2m x 0.6m). i think this would be better for the buns.

wXruyas.jpg

YbOIxop.jpg

q4ziEPE.jpg

:O mikek, where has THAT been all my life! My Mum got me a folding screen door but it wouldn't fit due to how my door is laid out, but THIS should be perfect :D How does it fix, velcro?

i would think greenhouse shading would be good - as long as they're not likely to get caught up in it.
i bought some from Wilko. £7 i think, for 10metres. i think it's 2m wide, so there's quite a lot of it!

it's too big for my g/h though & i didn't want to cut it so for the g/h i have some door fly screen from Home Bargins. it's more like house windows nets but black. £2.99 each (it's 2 lengths approx 2m x 0.6m). i think this would be better for the buns.

wXruyas.jpg

YbOIxop.jpg

q4ziEPE.jpg

They look great:thumb:

Aww :love: making the most of the shade :love:

I love the bunny under the parasol![emoji7][emoji7]

I used to have one of those magnetic door screens..... until one of my dogs ripped it down and tore it to shreds. [emoji23][emoji23] It just attaches with Velcro but our doorframe was out of square so it took a bit of faffing to line it all up so it would snap shut after we'd gone through it.

I'll have a look in Wilko (thanks Mike!) as that sounds like an even cheaper option than eBay. I'm hoping, if we drape it outside, the cat won't pull it through the mesh while he's inside. [emoji23] We might need to roll it up out of the way when he's got the free run of the garden though in case he tries to climb it.

I love the bunny under the parasol![emoji7][emoji7]

I used to have one of those magnetic door screens..... until one of my dogs ripped it down and tore it to shreds. [emoji23][emoji23] It just attaches with Velcro but our doorframe was out of square so it took a bit of faffing to line it all up so it would snap shut after we'd gone through it.

I'll have a look in Wilko (thanks Mike!) as that sounds like an even cheaper option than eBay. I'm hoping, if we drape it outside, the cat won't pull it through the mesh while he's inside. [emoji23] We might need to roll it up out of the way when he's got the free run of the garden though in case he tries to climb it.

the size i stated for the item from Wilko was wrong! I got confused with fleece.
anyways, this is it i think. comes with a few plastic fittings to fit to greenhouse:

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-greenhouse-shading-27m-x-18m/p/0298568

:O mikek, where has THAT been all my life! My Mum got me a folding screen door but it wouldn't fit due to how my door is laid out, but THIS should be perfect :D How does it fix, velcro?

oops, sorry kk, mised your post.
it come supplied with self-adhesive velcro strips & drawing pins for fixing, but it is like a net curtain as it has a bit at the top you can feed wire thru or you could you a net curtain stretchy wire i suppose - i only just thought of that *facepalm smilie*

i have
one in the house that i use on the patio doors in the summer,
one on bunny shed doors all year round (to stop flies getting in & for shading & draught-proofing) as the door is open all day for them to go in & out as they please,
and 2 in the greenhouse for shading.

Back