• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Adult food brands

LittleEskimo

Mama Doe
Hello all, I am planning to transition Finn off of junior rabbit pellets next month (He's currently just on Pets at Home Junior pellets) and I was just wondering if there are any preferred brands to go for? I used Burgess Excel in the past but I saw Science Selective had one that was grain free? I might be wrong on that.
However, if there's no real difference between pellets I'll just go for affordability :lol:

My 4 are on science selective grain free. My bunnies have always tolerated their meagre nugget rations well - I've had no adverse reactions to these but then again they were on excel for years & years & I never had any probs with those either

I’ve always fed excel without any issues. I’ve generally fed the junior/dwarf one.

I’ve always fed excel without any issues. I’ve generally fed the junior/dwarf one.

Actually now you mention it, should I be considering dwarf feeds? Finn was only 1.48kg at the vet a few weeks back. I don't think he's going to get much bigger as he's already around 5ish months. Or should I go with generic adult feed?

I've never really understood the whole junior & dwarf thing because surely a dwarf rabbit will still have the nutrition needs of a normal average adult rabbit? I'd be interested in know, but I don't see how a dwarf breed of rabbit would be a different to a larger sized rabbit.

my concern would be that junior food is intended for growing/nursing rabbits so its going to be more fattening. for instance junior food has higher protein and more calories in it for growing rabbits, not an adult that should be at a stable growth/weight now.

the only thing I can think of is that the food is smaller.. but I don't think that would pose that much of an issue imho, and if it does you could break them up. with the likes of burgess theres not much size difference between the junior and adult in my experience.

idk! I'd be worried about feeding a food intended for growing rabbits as the calories and protein, over feeding on protein long term can cause issues such as weight gain & stomach upset. for instance an adult rabbit needs 12-14%, and a growing rabbit needs 16%+. the supreme junior has 17%, burgess has 16%.

I've never fed my mini rexs the 'dwarf' food because I'd be worried about how fattening it is and how much protein is in it compared to what an adult rabbit needs.

if size is an issue (which I don't think it would be) I'd suggest breaking it up.

thats just my own personal opinion tho :D

I've never really understood the whole junior & dwarf thing because surely a dwarf rabbit will still have the nutrition needs of a normal average adult rabbit? I'd be interested in know, but I don't see how a dwarf breed of rabbit would be a different to a larger sized rabbit.

my concern would be that junior food is intended for growing/nursing rabbits so its going to be more fattening. for instance junior food has higher protein and more calories in it for growing rabbits, not an adult that should be at a stable growth/weight now.

the only thing I can think of is that the food is smaller.. but I don't think that would pose that much of an issue imho, and if it does you could break them up. with the likes of burgess theres not much size difference between the junior and adult in my experience.

idk! I'd be worried about feeding a food intended for growing rabbits as the calories and protein, over feeding on protein long term can cause issues such as weight gain & stomach upset. for instance an adult rabbit needs 12-14%, and a growing rabbit needs 16%+. the supreme junior has 17%, burgess has 16%.

I've never fed my mini rexs the 'dwarf' food because I'd be worried about how fattening it is and how much protein is in it compared to what an adult rabbit needs.

if size is an issue (which I don't think it would be) I'd suggest breaking it up.

Now that makes perfect sense to me. I know junior stuff is meant to be for growing baby rabbits so it has a slightly different formula. Maybe dwarf rabbits have a higher metabolism so need that extra stuff?? I might try some googling on that :lol:

The Science Selective 10kg on amazon is a couple of pounds more expensive than Excel 10kg, so maybe I'll go for the Excel again...

Actually now you mention it, should I be considering dwarf feeds? Finn was only 1.48kg at the vet a few weeks back. I don't think he's going to get much bigger as he's already around 5ish months. Or should I go with generic adult feed?

I’ve always fed the junior/dwarf as my bunnies have always been small/very very active, or usually both, and they get so few anyway I thought they may as well have them.

I’ve always ended up with small bunnies who were extremely active so imo they’ve always needed the junior/dwarf to enable them to keep up with their energy needs. And they hardly have enough to make much difference anyway to be honest. I’ve never ended up with any of them being overweight or with any digestive problems.

Boots was much less active than any of my other bunnies, and thinking back, he did have the adult version of Burgess.

There’s a good comparison here http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp

I’ve always fed the junior/dwarf as my bunnies have always been small/very very active, or usually both, and they get so few anyway I thought they may as well have them.

I’ve always ended up with small bunnies who were extremely active so imo they’ve always needed the junior/dwarf to enable them to keep up with their energy needs. And they hardly have enough to make much difference anyway to be honest. I’ve never ended up with any of them being overweight or with any digestive problems.

Boots was much less active than any of my other bunnies, and thinking back, he did have the adult version of Burgess.

There’s a good comparison here http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp
Ah this is a good list, thanks for sharing! I was tempted by the science selective because it had a higher fibre content than excel

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Back