• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My rabbit thumps and then binky’s?

Rosie132

Young Bun
Why does he do this. He’ll be on the floor, thump, jump on my bed and then binky. He usually thumps when he’s annoyed or scared. What does this mean?

Why does he do this. He’ll be on the floor, thump, jump on my bed and then binky. He usually thumps when he’s annoyed or scared. What does this mean?

yes, in my experience thumping is a signal to other rabbits that there is possible danger & to be on extra alert.

binkying seems to me to be a display of happy exuberance, or 'just because i can' :lol:

yes, in my experience thumping is a signal to other rabbits that there is possible danger & to be on extra alert.

binkying seems to me to be a display of happy exuberance, or 'just because i can' :lol:

So why does he do both? 😂

Sonic always thumped for 'fun'. I think he realised that if he thumped, he's get attention as we'd check for danger!

One of my rabbits does it when he's excited. Usually he does one thump for fun and then starts his digging / binkying/ running around. He also thumps when annoyed/ startled.

personally I don't think the thumping always for danger is 100% true.. I think thumping has many different ways of communication with us :D

Orion often thumps when he is displeased at something I have done, so clipped his claws, or have moved his igloo.

Luna often thumps to let me know when she is coming. so for instance, before she jumps on the bed, she usually stomps. she will stomp before running towards me too, I think a "hello I'm here!"

so while it can mean danger, I think it can have many different meanings. screw you, I'm excited, I'm here! and so on. I think they're perhaps trying to communicate with us or similar. maybe evolving? idk! just my own little theory lol.

Archie has always thumped before doing a Binky. It's adorable and a bit softer than a normal thump. I always think it means look at me I'm about to do an amazing Binky. But also a warning that he's about to go super fast, so you should stay still. Hahaha

I had a rabbit who would thump loudly when she wanted someone to come and pet her or feed her. my other rabbits seem to thump only when afraid. The biggest thing was at night when they saw there reflexion or ours in the patio glass doors. Seem to think it was someone that might come in and be of danger also a neighborhood cat on the patio would always be scary. Or a loud sudden noise
The one the tumped for us would do it until we came. the scared thumps would be around 3 to 4 thumps then run and hide.
Maybe he tumps to say look at me. I am about to binky.

Last edited:
Back