• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Weird moaning sound while exploring?

Etagirl

New Kit
Hello all, first time poster, second time rabbit owner! I recently adopted a rabbit from a shelter and he seems pretty healthy, he's been neutered, but I notice he has an odd habit while exploring. Occasionally he makes this strange moaning sound and I'm not sure what it is. What does it mean? Is this the so-called honking I've heard about? My last rabbit was very quiet, she never made a sound, at least not while exploring. Sometimes she would growl but that's besides the point, she never honked so I have no idea if this is what he is doing. He also thumps a lot while exploring, I dunno if this is normal, can someone tell me if it is? I know thumping can mean alarmed or afraid or even occasionally angry, so I hope he's not afraid or angry. Could it just be he's trying to get my attention? Anyway, any help that can be provided would be much appreciated, thank you!

Hello and welcome to the forum :wave:

What you have described does sound like honking. Has he been neutered a while, as if it was only recently it could still be his hormones, which are contributing to the behaviour.

I've only known rabbits to thump when they have been afraid. It is given as a warning to other members of the warren that there is possible danger.

Back