• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weeping eye causing sore skin and fur loss

Bellatrix15

Warren Scout
SeXE82O.jpg

Bellatrix has a weeping eye caused by an abscess that is pushing on her tear duct. The abscess is being controlled well by long term penicillin injections. I give her eye drops daily but they seem to make no difference. Her eye is constantly weeping which is now causing fur loss and soreness to the skin. What can I do to help the soreness? Is it better to keep it dry and wipe with a dry cotton wool pad rather than a wet one? Just don't want her to be in discomfort! Thanks :)

Poor girlie. When was the last time the Vet examined her ? I ask as it may be that the Vet will suggest that he/she trims away the matted fur, this may or may not need to be done under light sedation. Then the Vet may think a change of abx is needed and also hopefully will prescribe a barrier ointment to apply regularly around the eye to protect the skin from the discharge.

You will also need to be ultra vigilant re flystrike, as Bellatrix's eye problems puts her at high risk.

Info re flystrike here :

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/flystrike/

*WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGES ON THIS LINK*

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/Myiasis/Miyasis_fly.htm

Poor girlie. When was the last time the Vet examined her ? I ask as it may be that the Vet will suggest that he/she trims away the matted fur, this may or may not need to be done under light sedation. Then the Vet may think a change of abx is needed and also hopefully will prescribe a barrier ointment to apply regularly around the eye to protect the skin from the discharge.

You will also need to be ultra vigilant re flystrike, as Bellatrix's eye problems puts her at high risk.

Info re flystrike here :

Thank you. I will take her to the vets to discuss. It looks even more sore this morning. Is there a good barrier cream or alternative such as coconut oil that you can recommend? I know the vets will charge double for something and wondered if there is a cheaper alternative? I would be very reluctant to change abx as I can see how effective the inj. pen. is on her.

Ahhhh, this bunny is my life!

Info re flystrike here :

Oh and also wondering why her eye problems would put her at higher risk of fly strike? x

Oh and also wondering why her eye problems would put her at higher risk of fly strike? x

Because flies are attracted to damp/diseased areas. They can 'sense' bacterial infection and are far more likely to try to lay eggs on an infected area. It is not just a Bunny with a mucky bum that attracts flies. Any open wound/damp area anywhere on the body can do the same thing x

Because flies are attracted to damp/diseased areas. They can 'sense' bacterial infection and are far more likely to try to lay eggs on an infected area. It is not just a Bunny with a mucky bum that attracts flies. Any open wound/damp area anywhere on the body can do the same thing x

Thank you, makes sense. What about a good alternative barrier cream instead of the extortionate price they put on the one they give from vets?

Thank you, makes sense. What about a good alternative barrier cream instead of the extortionate price they put on the one they give from vets?

Personally I would prefer to be guided by the Vet re that, the eyes are obviously a very sensitive area and what treatment may be appropriate in any specific case needs to be made by a qualified Professional. You could ask the Vet if there are options available to be purchased online which are more economical but most importantly safe x

Personally I would prefer to be guided by the Vet re that, the eyes are obviously a very sensitive area and what treatment may be appropriate in any specific case needs to be made by a qualified Professional. You could ask the Vet if there are options available to be purchased online which are more economical but most importantly safe x

I agree with Jane, I would consult a vet, I wouldn’t attempt to treat it myself.

I agree with Jane, I would consult a vet, I wouldn’t attempt to treat it myself.

The vet said it was on the mild end of Dacrocystitis and needs eye drops and plenty of washing with water as it’s the tears that cause the irritation and fur loss.

Last edited:
I’m glad that it wasn’t anything too serious, I hope the drops and bathing clear it up quickly:thumb:

Thank you. I will take her to the vets to discuss. It looks even more sore this morning. Is there a good barrier cream or alternative such as coconut oil that you can recommend? I know the vets will charge double for something and wondered if there is a cheaper alternative? I would be very reluctant to change abx as I can see how effective the inj. pen. is on her.

Ahhhh, this bunny is my life!

i was told to use Sudocrem. The vet applied it easy enough but i found it didn't spread on very easily.
I think i was being too cautious, though. The vet just did it (if you know what i mean). I tried warming the tube before applying but it didn't seem to soften any.

Hoping for some success for her.

Just googled Dacrocystitis. looks like what i used to get myself occassionally. on some occassions my eye would be entirely closed due to eyelid swelling.

Last edited:
Back