• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Badger Proof Rabbit Run Needed HELP!

emmajamma

New Kit
Hi I have just moved into a new house and have discovered that there are badgers that frequently come into the neighbouring gardens, I live next to a large protected orchard and naively didn't consider badgers. I was woken on Saturday night by a badger trying to get into my Rabbits Omlet Eglu. The rabbits are now in their eglu run but it is heavily secured down and put together with reinforced cable ties. They are then being transferred into another eglu in the garage over night.

This set up is of course far from ideal and I desperately want to find a long term solution. I am looking at getting them some sort of walk in rabbit run that will be badger proof. I'm keen on this run from Omlet but not sure if it's badger proof. I would put it on slabs with an under mesh floor and then more slabs on top.

I am open to ANY other suggestions of walk in runs that are badger proof to protect my bunnies. I have 2 house cats so can't keep them inside.

Hello, and welcome to the forum :wave: if I’m honest, I think if I was in your situation I wouldn’t keep them outside, even if you could find a badger proof run, as the rabbits would be terrified if the badgers tried to get in. I have a cat who comes into the house, but my rabbits are in a rabbit proof room that the cat can’t get into.

I’m not sure what gauge of weldmesh you would need to withstand a badger but google brought up this https://www.wildlifefencing.co.uk/pages.php?pageid=4 https://www.wildlifefencing.co.uk/home.php?cat=2

I think I agree with Zoobec on those one. My rabbit went berserk, when she was an outdoor bun in a shed and run, when a hedgehog was just staring in through the mesh. Can't imagine how she would have reacted to a badger ! Theres lots of good ideas about indoor housing, in the housing section at the start of the forum, should you decide to go for this. Good luck with the badgers !

Back