• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Calcium content in dandelion roots?

Graciee

Staff member
Anyone know if they're high, low, or in the middle? TIA x

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

I remember FHB saying dandelions were high in calcium compared to most forage. She didn't specify root / leaf etc

I admit to being half asleep last night when I posted, I just saw the word "dandelion" and not "root" so I didn't answer the actual question! One of my bunnies has been diagnosed with bladder sludge so I am also looking at calcium content in foods.

Dark green leafy things are high in calcium, as a rule. So it's the leaves that are high in calcium, not the roots.

Dark green leafy things are high in calcium, as a rule. So it's the leaves that are high in calcium, not the roots.
I really want to know what the calcium component of the green leaf is now. I've found a study relating bitterness to calcium but after thee pages of 'these high-calcium veg are for you!' sort of results I've given up :(

I think the calcium content of the leaves changes depending on the age of them too. *Disclaimer alert* I could be very wrong, but I think the older and larger the dandelion leaves, the more calcium they have.

Back