• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New Variant RVHD- Known as 'RVHD2' U/D 20th Feb 2023

The report stated ‘most were vaccinated’.

Probably a new intake that brought the virus with them.

It's a very scary situation. I have also believed this time of year was a lot quieter for reports of both RHD and myxomatosis, so even more worrying the amount of reports that are coming through.

That rescue is a breeder I've been told unofficially by the rescue my girl came from who are local to them.

Most of the posts list the bunnies as previously vaccinated - needs updating!

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Probably a new intake that brought the virus with them.

It's a very scary situation. I have also believed this time of year was a lot quieter for reports of both RHD and myxomatosis, so even more worrying the amount of reports that are coming through.

Hopefully Richard will give some advice/information. The FB Group went very quiet for months, now it has more posts re losses than when RHD2 kicked off in the first place . What is worse now is that deaths are occurring in Vaccinated Rabbits. Of course no vaccine can give 100% protection and there are many reasons why an individual Rabbit may not have a good immune response to the vaccine. But the sheer number of deaths now appears to go way above any expected vaccine failure rate.

The rescue are still awaiting PM results but have confirmed they use Filavac.

Oh so they aren't using the new triple one then? Or the nobivac aswell as the filavac?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Not sure on the nobivac as they were only asked about the Triple on the post.

Sorry, is the new triple one called filavac too then? [emoji38]

Edit : it's not.. Its called NOBIVAC Myxo-RHD PLUS... So they were asked if they'd used this and they responded saying they use filavac? If so I'm confused!

Last edited:
Sorry, is the new triple one called filavac too then? [emoji38]

Edit : it's not.. Its called NOBIVAC Myxo-RHD PLUS... So they were asked if they'd used this and they responded saying they use filavac? If so I'm confused!

ATM it is all the RHD2 Vaccines currently in use that we are looking into, currently that means Eravac, Filivac, Nobivac Myxo RHD and Nobivac Myxo RHD Plus. It is not just the Nobivac Triple that is raising concerns, more that the POTENTIAL of the correct change over to the Triple Vaccine protocol is not being followed

https://www.msd-animal-health-hub.co.uk/ahp/rabbit-switching

Or the POTENTIAL of virus mutation that can now sneak under the vaccine radar, so to speak.

Gawd, I am confusing myself now :roll:

Hopefully we will hear back from Richard Saunders via the RWAF soon x

A brief reply from the RWAF :

‘’Thanks for contacting us. We are aware of the posts in the group you mention. We have contacted Dr Saunders and hope to make a statement in due course’’

If you are on FB I strongly advise you to keep a watchful eye on this page

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MyxomatosismapfortheUK

It's getting very, very scary now. There's definitely something going on. There's not enough clear answers about vaccination histories etc yet for me to have reached any strong theories, how about you, Jane?

My RHD2 vaccs are due in about six weeks' time and the plan was to move to the triple but I am watching very careful and considerating going for Filavac.

It's getting very, very scary now. There's definitely something going on. There's not enough clear answers about vaccination histories etc yet for me to have reached any strong theories, how about you, Jane?

My RHD2 vaccs are due in about six weeks' time and the plan was to move to the triple but I am watching very careful and considerating going for Filavac.

I think there may be a few things going on, the noncompliance with the switch over protocol, vaccination statuses lapsing due to Lock Down restrictions earlier last year, vaccines being shared amongst Breeders and not being stored correctly.

Then worst case scenario, a further mutation of the virus which is over-riding immunity from vaccination.

I wish these posts would definitely confirm the rabbit was vacinated for RHD2. If vaccinated rabbits are dying from RHD2 that is extremely worrying

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Cookie is my first pet and pet rabbit care is very, very rare in Turkey. There is not a single human or veterinarian who knows the 100% correct diet about rabbits. I was shocked when I first noticed this and started learning about rabbit care by researching and reading foreign sources. This was the disease I feared the most while reading about rabbit diseases and vaccines. But I learned that there is no vaccine in Turkey. Frankly, even the veterinarians did not know about this vaccine, I thought of having this vaccine brought from abroad for Cookie. But I couldn't find a way to bring the vaccine. I could not find any reports of this disease in Turkey. I'm not sure if there is or not. I'm not sure if it's reported and noticed. But I never took Cookie outside because of this fear of sickness. Cookie has never been to the garden or the park, always at home. :( Frankly I'm so scared he will get this disease so I don't take him out. :(

Back