• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tips for making a bun drink more?

Bunnies can drink vastly different amounts of water and still be healthy. I would be more worried if a bunny drank a lot more than expected or they drank so little they were not sufficiently hydrated and had harder/smaller poos. I monitor if a bunny is drinking what is a normal amount for that particular bunny. If they suddenly drink more or less with no change in climate, activity level, moisture from greens, etc. it is more of a concern to me than if they never drink lots of water.
That being said, I have seen bunnies refuse to drink tap water when our water authority adds more chemicals in the summer. Filtered water may help.
You also may be able to infuse the water with the flavor of something they like.
Also, some water bottles do not allow much water to come out with each lick.

Alfie always seemed to prefer his water warm, so I just added a splash of water from the kettle.

If you feed veggies, you can offer them a bit wet too.

Boo won't drink when she has dental issues - feel like I've tried everything. During these times she will eat lots of cucumber & lettuce though so I try & keep her hydrated that way. Its such a worry. I hope you find something that helps

Do you give Clementine bottled water ?

What may encourage one Bun to drink more water may make another Bun hop away pdq.

Certainly all of my Rabbits drink more from a bowl and I never use sipper bottles now

Most Rabbits like Pro-C Professional in water, but there will always be a few who dont

https://www.vetark.co.uk/pages/ProC-Professional2.aspx

Increasing water intake by feeding more fresh Veg/herbs is another possibility

Some folk add a splash of unsweetened fruit juice to water works (never has for me though !!)

Some Rabbits like warm water. Lord H is addicted to warm peppermint tea and Pro C. He has gotten Roisin hooked on it too now.

Do you give Clementine bottled water ?

What may encourage one Bun to drink more water may make another Bun hop away pdq.

Certainly all of my Rabbits drink more from a bowl and I never use sipper bottles now

Most Rabbits like Pro-C Professional in water, but there will always be a few who dont

https://www.vetark.co.uk/pages/ProC-Professional2.aspx

Increasing water intake by feeding more fresh Veg/herbs is another possibility

Some folk add a splash of unsweetened fruit juice to water works (never has for me though !!)

Some Rabbits like warm water. Lord H is addicted to warm peppermint tea and Pro C. He has gotten Roisin hooked on it too now.

Yep, she only has Tesco ashbeck in a big bowl.

Won't touch pro c

Not allowed to give her any veg

I tried apple juice last night, gunna try pineapple mixed in tonight (separate bowl to the side) apple juice Atticus liked Clementine wouldn't touch it..

The water is room temperature, I could heat it up I guess? See if she likes that more..?

Which peppermint tea do you use? I'll try that too :)

Feel like I'm asking the impossible tbh! [emoji38]

I will say this.. I don't think she doesn't drink enough.. I just think it might be her size.. But Idk how to fix that as she only has hay... It's so difficult!

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

I think it's worth trying anything and everything. When I said Alfie liked his water warm it was much warmer than room temperature and he would only drink really when it was first put down - my other buns weren't so fussed though and would drink from the bowl no matter the water temp.

I think it's worth trying anything and everything. When I said Alfie liked his water warm it was much warmer than room temperature and he would only drink really when it was first put down - my other buns weren't so fussed though and would drink from the bowl no matter the water temp.
Oh yea definitely :)

Thanks for that, I'll definitely give it a go... I caved and gave her some black cabbage apparently that's low in calcium content... I hope I didn't mess it all up, she ate it instantly tho! Just everything else is only nibbling..

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

I hope you find something that works and that the black cabbage hasn't caused any issues. Xx

Back