• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bloaty tummy.... or chubby bunny!

Mubby

Banned
sometimes mubbys tummy feels a bit fat :oops:

and iv heard you all talk about " bloat" would it be obvious is he had this ?

would his tummy be huge ?

would he be acting poorly ?

:?:

When claude had bloat he just kept lying on the floor wouldnt get up or he was lying in his litter tray,he wouldnt eat and hadnt pooed or wee,he has has it twice now i know if claudes ill cause usually he will do anything for food so if he refuses it somethings wrong
his tummy felt very hard

thanks for info :D

nah mubbys fine... hes wee'ing and pooing same as ever and running laps round the sofa as we speak :lol: :lol: :lol:

hes just a chubster 8)

If he's running laps round the sofa, and toileting fine, I think he's probably OK :)

Rob has had all sorts of bloat, statis issues in the past, and I think his behaviour is the best indicator that he is ill. I just know he isn't well when he doesn't want to eat much, doesn't move much, toileting habits change, or he looks at me with 'dull eyes' - know it sounds daft, but it's the best way to describe it - my wee man loses his sparkly eyes when he doesn't feel good :wink:

We'll be calling mubby the Chubster soon :wink:

Hi Lynn,

I'm glad someone else says they loose the sparkle in their eyes and they go dull when they are ill. I always say this to the vet when I take them and he looks at me as if I'm mad!!

You know your own bunnies and watch them like hawks and we are the best judge most of the time if they are ill or not.

Maureen

Mogs said:
Hi Lynn,

I'm glad someone else says they loose the sparkle in their eyes and they go dull when they are ill. I always say this to the vet when I take them and he looks at me as if I'm mad!!

You know your own bunnies and watch them like hawks and we are the best judge most of the time if they are ill or not.

Maureen

Definitely - I have made vet appointments on the basis of those 'dull eyes' :shock: (good job I have an understanding vet :wink: ).

It does make me worry so much for the buns who have little human interaction as you learn so much about them from their behaviour.

That's why I worry myself senseless when I go on holiday as no one knows my buns the way I do, however, I have a new place in mind for my next holiday :wink: , and if they can go there, I will feel more relaxed :)

When Blueberry got checked over when she went to meet Brian, I was told her tummy felt gassy, to me it felt tight, I was also told she was her uppermost weight!! :oops:
I've cut down her dry food she's been eating more hay and it feels ok now.

Hi Beck,

We have all been there I'm sure, I'ts so hard to resist those little faces when they want more food.

Still if Blueberry likes hay half the battle is won and I'm sure there will be no more problems.

Bye for now

Maureen

Back