• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bladder flushing..

Being honest if she’s not having pain relief, it might be why she’s not eating much. When bailey had his flush, he was in an awful amount of pain and was on buphamophine, tramadol and metacam. She sounds much better than bailey, and we think bailey’s was worse because he had stones in there. But similar to your bun, bailey was dribbling for a good 4/5 days afterwards and didn’t start eating properly until the 6th day. I’d try and get her some pain relief as it will defo help her out.

Topping up the vibes

Being honest if she’s not having pain relief, it might be why she’s not eating much. When bailey had his flush, he was in an awful amount of pain and was on buphamophine, tramadol and metacam. She sounds much better than bailey, and we think bailey’s was worse because he had stones in there. But similar to your bun, bailey was dribbling for a good 4/5 days afterwards and didn’t start eating properly until the 6th day. I’d try and get her some pain relief as it will defo help her out.

Topping up the vibes

Oh no sorry if I wasn't clear! She's been on tramadol and metacam since the flush, and they gave her some painkillers when she was having it too.

I just need two more doses of the metacam til I see the vet, and I think we'll only get one more out the bottle. She's absolutely not going to not have pain relief.. Just hoping there's enough for tonights dose tbh!

Good to know about the dripping after the flush.. That's made me feel much better - so afterwards the stream returned to normal? :)

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Oh I see, Sorry.. would be better if I actually read things properly!

Yeah we just covered the floor in puppy pads, but he gradually just stopped and started doing smaller patches of wees, although their was blood present for a little while too. His willy was bright red the poor little mite and it was so painful, we even had to go careful picking him up. But think after 4/5 days, the drugs had kicked in and helped. I did a thread on here about him so you can probably find it if your interested.

We never bothered with liquid magnesium as my vets hasn’t heard much about it and was reluctant to use something they hadn’t used before, so bailey has potassium citrate instead! So far it’s working well, he still passes the odd bit of sludge every week but it’s a small amount and he’s still happy enough, not showing any signs of discomfort.

But I’m not sure why your vet has said to cut out all veg.. obviously it’s best to stay away from those veggies higher in calcium to prevent build up of the sludge.

We give bailey mainly herbs, coriander and basil! With small amounts of broccoli. We also give him grass, but again not loads as it too has calcium in it. He has x5 Timothy based pellets and his usual ings and oat hay.

We’ve also started the pro-biotic which you kindly mentioned to me and that’s certainly encouraging him to drink more!

Good luck though and hope she continues to improve!

Last edited:
Oh I see, Sorry.. would be better if I actually read things properly!

Yeah we just covered the floor in puppy pads, but he gradually just stopped and started doing smaller patches of wees, although their was blood present for a little while too. His willy was bright red the poor little mite and it was so painful, we even had to go careful picking him up. But think after 4/5 days, the drugs had kicked in and helped. I did a thread on here about him so you can probably find it if your interested.

We never bothered with liquid magnesium as my vets hasn’t heard much about it and was reluctant to use something they hadn’t used before, so bailey has potassium citrate instead! So far it’s working well, he still passes the odd bit of sludge every week but it’s a small amount and he’s still happy enough, not showing any signs of discomfort.

But I’m not sure why your vet has said to cut out all veg.. obviously it’s best to stay away from those veggies higher in calcium to prevent build up of the sludge.

We give bailey mainly herbs, coriander and basil! With small amounts of broccoli. We also give him grass, but again not loads as it too has calcium in it. He has x5 Timothy based pellets and his usual ings and oat hay.

We’ve also started the pro-biotic which you kindly mentioned to me and that’s certainly encouraging him to drink more!

Good luck though and hope she continues to improve!
This is all really helpful thank you :D

Glad the probiotic is working out for Bailey, sadly Clementine has decided it's terrible and won't touch it [emoji38]

Sorry for the lack of response! I've had quite the day [emoji38] just on the train home finally [emoji849]

My poor grumpy baby is doing okay ish.. She has a catheter in her ear for iv fluids which I'm doing every 4 hours, gunna be a bit late with this evenings one though :(

She's nibbling more veggies and we have more loxicom and Emeprid.

Spoke to the vet about veggies I took that diet sheet with me, she said her books says differently but she won't argue with it [emoji38] so we are just avoiding really high calcium ones.

She took bloods today too to check kidney function, gunna call me with the results.

She's looking into a diuretic, liquid magnesium and potassium... Citrate..? I think?

So just kinda seeing how things go, getting her eating again is obviously key.. But looking into ways we can prevent her having to have the bladder flushed again basically!
bbac61fd9fdfca95f9999a39c165eef1.jpg

Aww poor brave girl :love: I hope she is feeling better soon. Sorry today has been so hard:cry: sending lots more vibes and hugs xx

I think her expression tells you just what she thinks of her ear bandage :lol: Poor girlie, I hope she soon starts to feel lots better. Sounds like a good compromise with the veggie feeding :)

I think her expression tells you just what she thinks of her ear bandage [emoji38] Poor girlie, I hope she soon starts to feel lots better. Sounds like a good compromise with the veggie feeding :)

Haha yeaa... She wasn't impressed [emoji38][emoji38] Yea she's loving the veg!

Thanks guys :) we're off to the vet again... The orange tape is half way up her ear...obviously! [emoji38] This whole week has been a disaster [emoji38] she's still only really eating veg and the odd bit of hay but ima just take that [emoji38]

Well it was just the outside orange tape she'd managed to pull off, so it's been re done and I have spare tape so I can do it at home [emoji38] she's such a madam!

Well I must admit that I would be none to impressed with having a nasty lot of sticky tape on my ear !

What's her poo output like atm ?

Well I must admit that I would be none to impressed with having a nasty lot of sticky tape on my ear !

What's her poo output like atm ?
I didn't see this earlier Jane! Yea she isn't too impressed she's been a bit better about it today, just gotta make it til tomorrow am then it can be removed [emoji38] hopefully no mishaps til then. Its alright.. Not the best, but there is output and she's started begging for some treats which is an improvement, definitely not eating enough hay though atm.
I hope Clementine is doing better now? Sending lots more vibes and hugs xx
She's a little brighter as of this afternoon which I'm pleased about :) although she has started biting... So she bit the nurse on Monday when they were doing her ultrasound, but she has never really bitten before.. So I thought maybe she was just really unhappy... Anyway she's nipped me once when doing meds since but wasn't too bad.. But tonight she bit my boyfriend on the arm and on his stomach... Which isn't great... Very unlike her.. But she doesn't really like being handled so I get it.. But she was going for him but as soon as I said to him to back off she didn't go for me once.. So Idk really... She does take the syringe out my hand though and throw it away from where we are sitting.. Which is a pain [emoji849][emoji38] hopefully it'll be all over soon!

She certainly sounds like she has plenty of bunnitude :lol: I hope she is better tomorrow. Maybe she is biting because she is out of sorts.

Back