• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bladder flushing..

What's happening Gracie? :(

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
Well they had to be separated again, Clementine seems to be going for him and Idk why :( she bit a vet nurse at the vets too... She's never been like this before :( she's really upset. Atticus wasn't perfect either though [emoji38]

She's still not really eating, and Idk what to give her because there's basically nothing I can give her because the calcium issue.. And tbh I just wanna give up. Also don't think I have enough loxicom til I see the vet and there's literally no way I can get there tomorrow :( at least we have the tramadol I guess... This whole thing has become a bit too crazy for me, with everything else I have going on :( I'm very stressed out and I just wanna cry tbh... Not exactly an uplifting update but its the truth and sometimes the truth sucks [emoji38]

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

i'm so sorry Clem & you are going through all this. Bunny stresses always seem to come in bundles. Get well & be calm vibes for everybun. Will you need to separate again?

i'm so sorry Clem & you are going through all this. Bunny stresses always seem to come in bundles. Get well & be calm vibes for everybun. Will you need to separate again?

Yea it's all or nothing here as always [emoji38]

Yep they're separated for now again, near each other though. I need to get Clementine back to normal output and eating I think before trying them again, it's just all too much :(

Have just caught up with this, hope she starts feeling better soon :( xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have just caught up with this, hope she starts feeling better soon :( xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks xx

The only thing she'll really eat is cavolo nero.. Or whatever it's called... But I'm pretty sure that's kale.. And high in calcium... But then some places say because veg is wet.. Its good.. But my vet said no veg.. But gut stasis isn't ideal either.. :( catch 22 this is I think..

Thanks xx

The only thing she'll really eat is cavolo nero.. Or whatever it's called... But I'm pretty sure that's kale.. And high in calcium... But then some places say because veg is wet.. Its good.. But my vet said no veg.. But gut stasis isn't ideal either.. :( catch 22 this is I think..

Just wondering what the Vet's reasoning is for saying not to give Clementine any Veg at all :?

What about fresh herbs ? Grass (small amount of the less lush looking stuff as grass is especially rich atm) ? Fresh Hawthorn ?

Just wondering what the Vet's reasoning is for saying not to give Clementine any Veg at all :?

What about fresh herbs ? Grass (small amount of the less lush looking stuff as grass is especially rich atm) ? Fresh Hawthorn ?
I know my vet doesn't believe that veg or water effects bladder sludge. He says it's only down to a organ not working properly

The reason I suggested EC was because I had an EC and that was the last thing we discovered he ha

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

She said because the calcium content?

So you think it's not an issue then? The veg? She just said no to all.. But I can talk to her about it obviously I just didn't know, tbh I didn't know what had happened to her til I collected her, she didn't go in for a bladder flush. So I had no info and I knew nada about low calcium diets [emoji38]

Eta, before this, they got some veg very rarely, maybe once a month? And not loads, it was mainly kale, spring greens (both which now I know are high in calcium) and broccoli. Varied obviously but kale is a big staple here.. Point is because of Atticus they really barely get anything but hay... So Idk how much of an effect it would have caused.. They get no pellets... In constrast my white buns get veg daily.. Idk if they have issues though obviously :( not that I've seen tho..

Last edited:
Well they had to be separated again, Clementine seems to be going for him and Idk why :( she bit a vet nurse at the vets too... She's never been like this before :( she's really upset. Atticus wasn't perfect either though [emoji38]

She's still not really eating, and Idk what to give her because there's basically nothing I can give her because the calcium issue.. And tbh I just wanna give up. Also don't think I have enough loxicom til I see the vet and there's literally no way I can get there tomorrow :( at least we have the tramadol I guess... This whole thing has become a bit too crazy for me, with everything else I have going on :( I'm very stressed out and I just wanna cry tbh... Not exactly an uplifting update but its the truth and sometimes the truth sucks [emoji38]

I’m so sorry that it’s so bad at the moment :cry: has the vet not given you enough loxicom to last? Could you get to a different vet if they could dispense some, on the say so of your vet if necessary?

Yea it's all or nothing here as always [emoji38]

Yep they're separated for now again, near each other though. I need to get Clementine back to normal output and eating I think before trying them again, it's just all too much :(

I agree I would keep them separate and get her back to being better first. Have the vets given you any gut meds for her? Are you syringe feeding anything to get her guts moving? Sending lots of vibes and hugs xx

Really sorry it's all so stressful atm. I would try to consider the various issues separately and deal with them according to their priority.

In my view the main issue with Clementine is that she won't eat very much, so I would concentrate on that first. I would keep them separate until she is a lot better health-wise. They won't come to any harm not being together and re-bonding can be dealt with at a later stage. Similarly with worrying about high calcium foods is, in my view, not something to try to deal with until you have sorted her anorexia.

I don't know whether you have seen this article by FHB regarding calcium and rabbit foods. Her view is that grass and other leafy green vegetables are better for rabbits with sludgy urine than hay and pellets.

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/calcium-and-rabbit-food

I’m so sorry that it’s so bad at the moment :cry: has the vet not given you enough loxicom to last? Could you get to a different vet if they could dispense some, on the say so of your vet if necessary?

I agree I would keep them separate and get her back to being better first. Have the vets given you any gut meds for her? Are you syringe feeding anything to get her guts moving? Sending lots of vibes and hugs xx

Nope sadly not, I mean she has been on it since last Monday and she need 1.2ml twice a day so even the big bottle didn't last too long [emoji38] maybe it's difficult my vets not in til tomorrow.

Yep she's on Emeprid twice daily has been since Monday evening. I havent syringe fed her at all because she's been nibbling and passing tiny black poops.. So I didn't really want to unless I had to because she doesn't appreciate it.. And it'd make it worse (obviously if no output I would, I've got all the stuff ready) I just been holding off trying to tempt her with stuff but it's hard because the vet said no to veg.. Although I've broken that a little..

Thanks Zoobec xx

Really sorry it's all so stressful atm. I would try to consider the various issues separately and deal with them according to their priority.

In my view the main issue with Clementine is that she won't eat very much, so I would concentrate on that first. I would keep them separate until she is a lot better health-wise. They won't come to any harm not being together and re-bonding can be dealt with at a later stage. Similarly with worrying about high calcium foods is, in my view, not something to try to deal with until you have sorted her anorexia.

I don't know whether you have seen this article by FHB regarding calcium and rabbit foods. Her view is that grass and other leafy green vegetables are better for rabbits with sludgy urine than hay and pellets.

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/calcium-and-rabbit-food

Yea I think you're right, I was just trying to follow what my vet said and she was like absolutely no veg, but you're right.. Gut stasis could kill her then it'd all be pointless how much calcium she's had.

Yep I've been consuming all online resources on calcium and rabbits [emoji38] tbh I think ima show my vet that and her diet sheet thing.

Thanks Omi, everything you've said is how I've felt it's just hard because it's not what the vet said but I think you're right and I've gotta go with my gut on this one :)

Oh yea has anyone heard of or tried liquid magnesium?

I might make a separate post incase people aren't reading this saga but might know about it or have used it I think.

Supposedly it can help with sludge? Idk how it works though

Back