• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

More vibes for my Bear UPDATE 15/09/19 TEST RESULTS

Orenoko

Mama Doe
Please can we have some vibes please, Teddy (or Bear as we call him) is off for dental investigation work and blood tests today. He has inflammation in his mouth. I have convinced myself it's a tooth abscess by reading online, never a good idea! Really hoping it's not too serious given his overall health right now, he also has some of the other symptoms of a dental abscess, I'm hoping it's just 'normal' dental problems rather than anything more sinister. Lilac is going with him for company, he hates being without her

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Please can we have some vibes please, Teddy (or Bear as we call him) is off for dental investigation work and blood tests today. He has inflammation in his mouth. I have convinced myself it's a tooth abscess by reading online, never a good idea! Really hoping it's not too serious given his overall health right now, he also has some of the other symptoms of a dental abscess, I'm hoping it's just 'normal' dental problems rather than anything more sinister. Lilac is going with him for company, he hates being without her

Sending lots of vibes for Bear, I hope it’s nothing sinister xx

Thanks all, just dropped them both off. Lilac was highly unimpressed! They will call me once they start working on him. He's lost another 5 grams so I really hope it's something simple and we can get some weight back on him ASAP.

He's awake again, he had some spurs which have been burred down but apparently they weren't too bad compared to previous occasions. Definitely positive that there is nothing more serious going on in his mouth. Just need to await the outcome of the blood tests now to see if anything else is causing his weight loss.

I’m glad he’s awake again, I really hope the blood tests don’t reveal anything to sinister xx

Thank you all. He is pretty much back to is normal self. He spent most of last night cleaning himself, must've not liked the smell of vet! [emoji1787] He started eating a hay cookie this morning which is good for him as it's the only hay he will eat. I should get the blood test results tomorrow hopefully.

I’m so glad he’s feeling ok in himself and eating:thumb: fingers crossed for the blood test results:thumb:

UPDATE 15/05/19 test results

Sadly the blood test results have confirmed something else is going on for Teddy. He has low red and white blood cell count and also some liver damage, which I suspected would happen sooner or later given all the medication he's been on for the last 18 months.

The vet has suggested we try an anabolic steroid as a last chance to see if he will gain some weight, if it works it would increase his appetite, help him to hopefully produce more blood cells and reduce some of the pressure on his liver. But if it doesn't work then we are pretty much at the end of the line with him, which I suspected but it's still hard to take.

He's going back in tonight for the injection and a general post op check. I will have to do some reading on anabolic steroids but I was able to ask the vet a few questions that immediately sprung to mind. All in all we may not have long with him but the vet said his quality of life seems good, better than a lot of other rabbits so of course it's worth a shot.

Sadly the blood test results have confirmed something else is going on for Teddy. He has low red and white blood cell count and also some liver damage, which I suspected would happen sooner or later given all the medication he's been on for the last 18 months.

The vet has suggested we try an anabolic steroid as a last chance to see if he will gain some weight, if it works it would increase his appetite, help him to hopefully produce more blood cells and reduce some of the pressure on his liver. But if it doesn't work then we are pretty much at the end of the line with him, which I suspected but it's still hard to take.

He's going back in tonight for the injection and a general post op check. I will have to do some reading on anabolic steroids but I was able to ask the vet a few questions that immediately sprung to mind. All in all we may not have long with him but the vet said his quality of life seems good, better than a lot of other rabbits so of course it's worth a shot.

I am saddened to read this but it sounds as though Teddy is wanting to fight on as long as possible and he has a Vet and a Care Giver who are willing to fight on with him. I have had a few Rabbits who have had anabolic steroids as part of a palliative care regime and it certainly seemed to help.

Milk Thistle is alleged to help support Liver Function. Maybe you could mention this to your Vet. My late Inspector Morse had this

https://www.baldwins.co.uk/natures-answer-milkthistle-alcohol-free-fluid-extract-30ml

and this

https://galensgarden.co.uk/single-dried-herbs/milk-thistle-herb-100gm-bag/

Sending lots of special vibes for Teddy :love:

I’m so sorry the news is not better:cry: I’ve not had experience of steroid injections in rabbits, but my bridge cat had them when he had kidney disease, and they worked wonders for him, he ate more, was more like himself etc. So I really hope they will help Teddy. As you say, in my opinion, quality of life is the most important thing, and it sounds like he is happy at the moment. Sending lots more vibes and hugs xx

Thanks both, to be fair he's done so much better than I ever thought so any time he has is special, the vet said he's definitely a fighter [emoji23] I will ask about the milk thistle and if there's anything else I can feed that might help him. He's a bit of a fuss pot sometimes and doesn't like what's good for him!

Back