• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Heidi, some stasis, Madelyn too 5/13/19

bunny momma

Wise Old Thumper
Today Heidi, a mini rex with short, soft, shiny black fur, decided that she wanted in on some of the extra attention her friends have been getting; so she decided to give me a scare.
The last couple days she was shedding just a little bit. Yesterday I thought she was not herself. She was drinking a bit less water and not quite as active even though she had good pee and poo and was eating pellets and hay. I groomed her well to remove the little bit of loose fur before sleeping. Sunday morning she did not run for her pellets and she drank less water than she normally does. There were many poos in her litterbox, yet they I thought they were from last night so I cleaned her litterbox again. She was also not as active. She got some pain meds and motility meds. When we returned from church, she had made some fresh poos. They were drier than usual and a couple were longer, more oval shaped. Upon inspection I saw one of the oval poos was almost entirely fur. In the evening her litterbox was changed again. I gave her sub Q fluids and another dose of motility meds (she jumped right out of the needle the first time). She went right to eating her fresh pellets and hay and made me some fresh pee and poo.

Even though she is shedding very little, she grooms herself a lot.
Please send me vibes that I can keep her groomed and passing any bits of fur she ingests.

Last edited:
Sending lots of vibes for Heidi, and hugs for you, I hope you can keep her guts moving:love:

Thank you Zoobec, Jane, and Katymieoww,

On Monday morning Heidi was much more like her normal self--begging for extra pellets and eating them and her hay right away. She also made me a nice pile of poos and pee. I will be doing her daily litterbox cleaning soon so I can see if I need to give any more motility meds or fluids before going to sleep.

This morning, shortly after seeing Heidi being much improved, I checked Madelyn, my very fluffy white lionhead. Overnight and this morning, Madelyn did not eat all her hay/greens and she made only a small number of smaller poos overnight. Last week she easily passed some poos connected by a small strand of fur so I immediately cleaned her litterbox again and waited for poos. When I tried grooming her, she had hardly any loose fur. By 2pm, I decided to give her motility meds and fluids. It took several hours before she made a few poos. This evening she made a few more, but she is still only nibbling hay. This morning she ate a few pellets, yet this evening she only ate a few. Madelyn normally loves her pellets so I know she needs more meds. When I cleaned her litterbox an hour ago she did make fresh pee and poo. She was in the vets in December for this same issue and it took a few days of meds/fluids to get her back to normal.

I feel needy to ask for more positive vibes; yet they worked before so I hope you can find it in your hearts to send me a fresh batch of positive vibes. Perhaps we should even add Raven to the list so he does not feel left out when all his friends, Gemini, Dash, Heidi, and Madelyn are getting attention.

Sending lots of vibes for Heidi, and adding lots for Raven too. Really hope you can get her sorted soon xxx

Oh gosh, I’m sorry you are going through this:cry: I’m sending vibes all round and hugs to you xx

You have quite the full plate there, bunny momma. Sending feel better and no more worrying issues for all your bunnies coming your way!

You do such an amazing job caring for them all. They're so lucky to have you. :love: :) xxxx

Goodness what an awfully stressful time you are having. Of course I am sending millions of vibes for all of your Bunnies and I think you may need some supportive hugs too xx

Thank you friends. It really helps to be surrounded by my RU friends who understand that our bunnies and other little fury friends are part of our families. I am thankful they are improving. Even so, I know how quickly things can change with these little creatures, so will keep a close eye on them and not stop meds too quickly.

Back