• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I think Charlie is barbaring...

Buzzwizz619

Warren Scout
So the history was unclear but it sounds like the bald patches started after the went into the RSPCAs care and either they or their vet thought it was am allergy to the hay they were using.

Charlie has a patch on his neck that on my has sort black hairs (few mm long) which I initially thought could be a reaction to more treatment. However he also has two pieces either side of his flank? (The part where when he's sitting his knees would cover)that are very bald and quite big.

We took samples Friday and he doesn't have mites and I've but a nite treatment in him too as a precaution.

The fur around where he is bald is always clumpy like he's spent alot if time licking the area. Although I'm not sure how he would reach his neck, but maybe that's why it's not completely bald. The skin isn't irritated or anything.

Still working on getting him eat a decent amount of hay but eats pellets veggies dandelions and grass happily.

I think it's boredom and now i feel really bad because I can't see a way that I can realistically and safely bond him for 2 months ☹

Is he moulting at the moment, could it be that ? Maybe if you could post a photo, I'm sure there will be plenty of others on here, who will have more advice to offer x

I don't know what a moult would look like but the patches are about an inch in diameter and symmetrical on both sides. I can't really get a pic because when he's sitting still they are covered and if I try and pick him up he gets all worked up.

I've installed a bunny cam today and in the last 2 hours he's barely moved. He's not really sleeping just sitting around looking bored.

When I got him he runs straight in the livingroom as soon as I open the door and doesn't like going back into the kitchen ☹

He's 6, he doesn't seem to be in pain, when I'm home he hops around happily enough and the first few days, until I had to start the eye drops he was doing Binkys

I don't know what a moult would look like but the patches are about an inch in diameter and symmetrical on both sides. I can't really get a pic because when he's sitting still they are covered and if I try and pick him up he gets all worked up.

I've installed a bunny cam today and in the last 2 hours he's barely moved. He's not really sleeping just sitting around looking bored.

When I got him he runs straight in the livingroom as soon as I open the door and doesn't like going back into the kitchen ☹

I don't know what time it is for you but an adult bunny not moving a lot during the afternoon is completely normal. My rabbits have always all been kinda sleepy and not very active from late morning to late afternoon (my 5 1/2 yo bunny is taking a nap right now and he lives with 2 other bunnies!).
Maybe there are ways to help your rabbit move around a bit more and tire himself out so he doesn't feel as stressed out even by himself.
Does your rabbit have a cardboard house with several openings? A sisal mat he can destroy? A big basket / box filled with hay so he can chose the best bits? Can you get him a tree branch, like an apple tree or hazelnut tree branch? My rabbits love them and can spend hours eating the leaves, then the small branches before stripping the bark from the biggest parts.
My male also really LOVES to sleep on higher grounds. I got him a camping mat for dogs and he's super excited to go lay on it and watch his territory (in case there is an invasion, I guess ^^).
I once had a rabbit who really liked puzzles for dogs. I had another one who had a treat dispenser (you know, the balls for cats with an opening?) - I put his pellets in it and he used to chase to ball across the room to get his pellets.
Just a few ideas in case you haven't already done all that...

Could his neck be getting rubbed while he is chewing on something else, like the bars of a pen/enclosure where the upper bar is rubbing his neck while he chews the one below? Did he every have medication given in that area that may have resulted in a permanent bald patch?

Deffinatley nothing at mine that could of rubbed on it, it's looks like the area where he would he given spot on treatment but the RSPCA couldn't confirm anything.

He is moulting but the patches are so symmetrical and he does spend alot I'd time grooming.

He looks abit happier since he got more toys, if upload a pic but I have no idea how!

He's got a material tunnel, tree things with dangling carrots, a hay filled grass ball, bay filled cube thing, treat ball for pellets, a teddy, a dried foraging mat thing, I box with holes cut in, his kennel (which he doesn't use!) And a few other bits.

He could sleep on top of the kennel if he wanted to sleep higher up but he seems to like the floor staring at the door.

I've contacted 3 rescues that do bonding but he needs his vaccinations before I can even be home check approved.

Back