• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter trays

zarathustra

Warren Scout
Hi all,

as some of you may have seen we recently adopted a couple of bunnies from the local RSPCA, and one of them won't leave the hutch, although I have built some steps so we need to see how that is going to go.

Currently both rabbits seem to have taken to using their sleeping area as a toilet, which probably isn't helped by the fact that we've only been able to get hold of hay for their bedding, rather using Timothy hay for eating and straw for bedding.

I do like the look of the hay bar litter trays by manor pet housing, but I think they will be too big for the hutch and will block access to the sleeping area.

Does anyone have any ideas for a home made litter tray/hay feeder? I was thinking on maybe getting a cat litter tray and trimming g down the parts which would get in the way.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

What bit of the hutch is getting in the way? If it's the partition then I don't have one as I found it took up too much room. I just use an underbed storage box in one half and some fleece over the rest of the floor.

Works well but I did have to train my lot to move out of the way when I was putting the box in with their pellets and fresh hay in the evenings.

What bit of the hutch is getting in the way? If it's the partition then I don't have one as I found it took up too much room. I just use an underbed storage box in one half and some fleece over the rest of the floor.

Works well but I did have to train my lot to move out of the way when I was putting the box in with their pellets and fresh hay in the evenings.
Sorry the litter tray would block up the access from the main part of the hutch to their sleeping area.

The issue is because Lola won't, or hasn't yet, gone down stairs, so anything we try to do has to be somewhere she will use it.

You could use cat litter trays, or storage boxes, you can cut holes in the side and sand to remove rough edges. Some people use the low sided potting tidy trays like these https://www.gardening-naturally.com...2cRBff4YdEYKXrwymNzhhWkCokt3_PVxoCMPkQAvD_BwE
When I had bunnies in hutches I found a recycling box that fitted in well, there’s a pic of it on an old post here http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?432051-Boots-new-room-(pic-heavy)&highlight=room the hayrack above it is the Kerbl Hay Rack with Wooden Seat, which I’ve also used in hutches before, it’s about £10 from amazon.
I use underbed storage boxes now as litter trays for 2 bunnies.

Thanks, I think that I'll go down the cat litter tray route and break out my trusty hacksaw and sandpaper to trim down the sections that will get in the way.

We'll need a new hay dispenser that will sit at the back and not take up too much room, hopefully Lola will start using her new steps soon as well

Rabbits like to sit in their litter trays chewing the hay while they do their toilet. This encourages rabbits who are not litter trained to become so. :thumb:

I use a drip tray in the hutch and a hanging basket half-moon, 3/4-covered with chickenwire, as a hayrack. Here's a really old picture before we got Aboleth, of the litter tray outside the hutch (next to the carrier):

1496537_10101486266793228_1737912615565407325_o.jpg

It's the largest thing that'll fit in that hutch, and it's the largest oil drip tray I could get. I also have a smaller pink cat litter tray and an underbed storage box in the playhouse.

The half-moon hanging basket here is what we use as a hayrack, but with chicken wire across the opening so the hay doesn't fall out, because I hang it on its side nowadays off a hook inside the hutch. Lopsy tried to climb in it when it was hanging normally because he's an adventurous idiot :lol:

10952124_10101451854286168_905000270824474267_o.jpg

I use a drip tray in the hutch and a hanging basket half-moon, 3/4-covered with chickenwire, as a hayrack. Here's a really old picture before we got Aboleth, of the litter tray outside the hutch (next to the carrier):

1496537_10101486266793228_1737912615565407325_o.jpg

It's the largest thing that'll fit in that hutch, and it's the largest oil drip tray I could get. I also have a smaller pink cat litter tray and an underbed storage box in the playhouse.

The half-moon hanging basket here is what we use as a hayrack, but with chicken wire across the opening so the hay doesn't fall out, because I hang it on its side nowadays off a hook inside the hutch. Lopsy tried to climb in it when it was hanging normally because he's an adventurous idiot :lol:

10952124_10101451854286168_905000270824474267_o.jpg

That drip tray is a good idea:thumb: it’s obviously not just me who sees none pet items in shops and thinks litter tray, or hay rack :thumb:

That drip tray is a good idea:thumb: it’s obviously not just me who sees none pet items in shops and thinks litter tray, or hay rack :thumb:
I was trying to think what would work as a litter tray, and a drip tray is super durable (I recalled what 10yrs of rabbit wee did to wood and weldmesh :S) and designed to take a lot of beatings, so I reckoned if they chewed it it'd still go on for years. The hanging basket was inspired by RU, but the window boxes were something my mate used for horses :) I'm always in places looking for new hay dispensing inspiration!

I was trying to think what would work as a litter tray, and a drip tray is super durable (I recalled what 10yrs of rabbit wee did to wood and weldmesh :S) and designed to take a lot of beatings, so I reckoned if they chewed it it'd still go on for years. The hanging basket was inspired by RU, but the window boxes were something my mate used for horses :) I'm always in places looking for new hay dispensing inspiration!

:thumb: I nearly got a magazine rack for F&F today from the charity shop, but decided against it due to bar spacing, I was concerned one of them would get their head stuck!

Back