• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rehoming a bun with e cuniculi

Herbs

New Kit
Hi,

I’m hoping for a bit of advice. We are in the process of adopting a female bun to bond with our little boy (both neutered!). The shelter completed a health check after we reserved her and it was found that she had e cuniculi. She has a very slight head tilt as a result which hasn’t been noticed until the health check but that seems to be the only sign of it. She is currently on Panacur for 28 days at the shelter and will receive another health check before we can pick her up.

I think I’m really worried about bonding her with our boy. I’m going to get some Panacur to give him as a preventative but it’s more if they bond and then it gets worse and she dies then it will be really stressful for our boy and sad for us. And I’m also concerned that as it’s an existing condition, we won’t be able to get it insured and I keep worrying maybe she needs to be with someone that has the money to pay potentially huge vets bills. The shelter said that it shouldn’t get worse but I can’t help but worry. Is it something that will be recurring throughout her life or if it was caught early enough will that be it?

I think it would just be helpful to hear from people who have had experience from this so that I have a better idea of what it will mean to be her bunny mummy. I really want to give her a loving home and I think she and our boy will make a great match but I want to be sure we can give her the home she needs with regards to her e cuniculi.

I’ve been reading so much about it online but keep finding different information :(

Hi,

I’m hoping for a bit of advice. We are in the process of adopting a female bun to bond with our little boy (both neutered!). The shelter completed a health check after we reserved her and it was found that she had e cuniculi. She has a very slight head tilt as a result which hasn’t been noticed until the health check but that seems to be the only sign of it. She is currently on Panacur for 28 days at the shelter and will receive another health check before we can pick her up.

I think I’m really worried about bonding her with our boy. I’m going to get some Panacur to give him as a preventative but it’s more if they bond and then it gets worse and she dies then it will be really stressful for our boy and sad for us. And I’m also concerned that as it’s an existing condition, we won’t be able to get it insured and I keep worrying maybe she needs to be with someone that has the money to pay potentially huge vets bills. The shelter said that it shouldn’t get worse but I can’t help but worry. Is it something that will be recurring throughout her life or if it was caught early enough will that be it?

I think it would just be helpful to hear from people who have had experience from this so that I have a better idea of what it will mean to be her bunny mummy. I really want to give her a loving home and I think she and our boy will make a great match but I want to be sure we can give her the home she needs with regards to her e cuniculi.

I’ve been reading so much about it online but keep finding different information :(

Hello

As you are probably aware head tilt can also be due to a middle ear infection as well as EC.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/head_tilt.htm

http://www.veterinarywebinars.com/w...-are-caused-by-central-or-peripheral-disease/

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/HeadTiltVestibularRabbit.htm

How did the Vet ascertain that it is definitely EC the Buck has ?

These articles may help answer your questions,

https://www.dovepress.com/encephali...-manageme-peer-reviewed-fulltext-article-VMRR

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/e-cuniculi/

http://www.greendale.co.uk/cuniculi_disease.html

https://www.dechra.co.uk/therapy-ar...cs-antifungals/disease-information/e-cuniculi

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Encephalitozoonosis.htm

EC is indeed a complex condition with even Vets not always agreeing on how to manage it in both the acute phase and in the long term

Thanks for all the links - it’s just hard to know from all I’ve read whether it’s likely things may get worse or if all she will be left with is her very mild head tilt. I guess it seems to be something that varies so much that it would be hard to know.

We only really know what the people who look after the rabbits at the shelter tell us so I’m not sure how their vet came to the conclusion that it was E. Cuniculi.

Thanks for all the links - it’s just hard to know from all I’ve read whether it’s likely things may get worse or if all she will be left with is her very mild head tilt. I guess it seems to be something that varies so much that it would be hard to know.

We only really know what the people who look after the rabbits at the shelter tell us so I’m not sure how their vet came to the conclusion that it was E. Cuniculi.

Maybe you could ask for some more details. After all you will be making the longterm commitment and you do need as much information as possible. Is the wee Buck a Lop eared Bunny ?

And yes, it is impossible to predict how things may pan out if a Rabbit does have a symptomatic episode of EC. So much more research is needed into the disease, but when/if that will ever happen I dont know x

Maybe you could ask for some more details. After all you will be making the longterm commitment and you do need as much information as possible. Is the wee Buck a Lop eared Bunny ?

And yes, it is impossible to predict how things may pan out if a Rabbit does have a symptomatic episode of EC. So much more research is needed into the disease, but when/if that will ever happen I dont know x

Exactly. My fiancé will be calling up to see if we can find out how they reached their conclusion and as much more info as possible so we can be sure we would be able to give her the home she needs. I would hate to take her on and then not be able to afford the vet bills that the insurance wouldn’t cover. It wouldn’t be fair on her at all. She is a dwarf lop and still very young.

Exactly. My fiancé will be calling up to see if we can find out how they reached their conclusion and as much more info as possible so we can be sure we would be able to give her the home she needs. I would hate to take her on and then not be able to afford the vet bills that the insurance wouldn’t cover. It wouldn’t be fair on her at all. She is a dwarf lop and still very young.

I would seriously consider the possibility of an ear infection. Lops being more prone to them than are 'uppy eared' Rabbits. If she has not had any diagnostics at all then the Vet may at least agree to give an antibiotic so that both bases (EC/Infection) are covered. I'd ask the Vet if there are any signs of eye problems- ie a cloudiness over the cornea/uveitis. In very young Rabbits EC usually affects the lens of the eyes.

I have a tilty rescue bun, I was told that mine was caused by an ear infection but I'm still not 100% sure. I adopted him 18 months ago and if I had to guess I have spent close to £2,000 on vet treatment. It wouldn't be covered under insurance as it is an existing condition. The rescue centre covers part of the costs so I can only guess how much I'd have spent if they didn't. My boy is very up and down, we're currently in a down phase unfortunately. A lot of tilty buns get worse before they get better and it can take several months for them to get back to whatever their new normal is. It's really hard to say whether there will be any long lasting effects as each case is different, he could be fine or he could need regular treatment. I would do as much research as possible in order to make an informed decision.

Back