• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panacur possible intolerance.

Sammy&Patch

Warren Scout
Hi, I just thought I would make a new post in case anyone finds similar problems with the panacur. My 8 year old bunny was ill last august with a suspected stroke. I had never given panacur before as she is an indoor bunny so I didn't think I needed to. Another possible cause of her problem was ecanicula? so in case it was that I had to give her a 30 day course of panacur and keep up with 9 day treatments every 3 months to be in the safe side. As Sammy had a lot of other issues suddenly happening at the same time (teeth spurs, drooling, an abscess, a sore on her tongue etc) I didn't notice any reaction/intolerance to the panacur. The second lot in November she still had other things going on so I have no idea if this made things worse. But in February she had been doing well. Myself and my partner both thought she didn't seem quite right while she was having the panacur. Not long after that treatment she had a majorly bad gas problem that resulted in loxicom, vetagesic, zantec, cisapride as well as in injection at the vets and we were going to have to let her go as she was in such pain even with all the medicines. Luckily she did improve and we slowly stopped the medicines a bit at a time until she was just on 1/2 a cisapride pill once a day. At the time I didn't think of any link with the panacur. She has been stable like this for over 2 months. When I was thinking about it I realised that the panacur must have been given very close to this episode so I started to think it could have caused it as there was no sign of any other reasons. I went to pick up the next lot of panacur from the vets and asked the receptionist when I got the last one and yes it was leading pretty much up to the bad episode by a few days. I mentioned this and the receptionist suggested giving this next dose and see if she seems ok. She did seem okish from Monday to Thursday. But Thursday evening she started chewing her toys a lot more than usual. Friday morning she had done massive lumps of unformed poo all over the floor (I stood in one barefoot). She seemed ok hopping about and eating. I phoned the vet but my vet wasn't in until today (Saturday). I didn't give her any more panacur and kept an eye on her. I was ready with zantec if I needed and the phone if it got bad. Luckily she had one more smaller amount but then seemed to be pretty normal poos again. The vet today agreed that it seemed likely she was having an intolerance or reaction to it as looking back the last episode coincided with it. Luckily everything else seemed fine when the vet checked her over. She is going to research other options to give Sammy instead or maybe just not treat her, she hadn't ever had a bunny come in with a reaction but as with humans it is possible to react to any medicine.

I don't want to put anyone off the pancur as this seems like quite an isolated case, and I am continuing with my other bunny having it as he is fine. I just thought it would be helpful for other people to watch out for signs of an intolerance in their bunny even if it is a rare occurance and bearing in mind that this could be 2 coincidences but the evidence does seem to point to this being an issue for Sammy. xxx

Thank you for sharing your experience with a potential adverse reaction to Panacur. As with all medication, there is always a chance that an individual Rabbit will not be able to tolerate it. It is good to be reminded of that fact. The same applies with all drugs administered. Whilst adverse reaction may be very, very rare there is always a slight risk. Personally I have not had any Rabbits react badly to Fenbendazole (Panacur). But I do not treat my Rabbits on a regular basis. Every new intake has a one off 28 day course and I do not treat them again unless clinical signs of EC present. This is the advice I have been given by my Rabbit savvy Vet. I hope that Sammy is doing OK now xx

Back