• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Charlie is very angry with me!

Buzzwizz619

Warren Scout
So charlie is in for his vaccinations and a full health check tomorrow, his history from the RSPCA is untreated pasturella (However looking at the medical history ive been given this is based soley on the presence of a watery eye, no mention of any other clinical signs). I mentioned this to the vet today and she said long term untreated pasturella can cause lung abcesses. At the moment charlies breathing seems fine 99% of the time but occassionally (twice since monday) he sounded abit wheezey so depending on what my vet thinks tomorrow he may ended up having xrays just to check.

Charlie does NOT like being picked up, Charlie does NOT like being stroked for more than a few seconds and Charlie does NOT like to willingly go in the cat carrier.

So to avoid causes him a tremendous amount of stress having me chase him around the kitchen at 730 in the morning, while trying to not be late for work I decided to take him in this evening (no dogs in tonight so nice and quiet) I also read in a nursing journal earlier that boarding over night can reduce stress and give them time to get used to the environment and in turn reduces peri-operative mortility, which made sense so i figured it was a win win situation.

So an hour ago I rounded him up, stuffed him in the carrier and man was he angry! Before i actually managed to catch him he was stomping his feet, then once in his carrier he was trying to dig his way out, i shoved some grass through the door and he tried to dig at it furiously. So i took him in, got him settled in a bottom kennel encase he freaks out when we have to get him out, gave him some yummy broccoli, kali, grass,hay and dandilion leaves and he just sat there in his litter tray glaring at me like im the most evil person in the world!

So fingers crossed his health check comes back clear, he can have his vaccines and all being well I should be able give him his VHD2 one at home instead of stressing us both out with another trip!

I hope he doesnt need any antibiotics or eyedrops being that little guy is going to seriously hate me if i have to catch him twice a day!

Oh dear, Charlie will be submitting a major complaint to Management !!
I hope all goes well for him today and that he does not sulk for too long after his ordeal xx

Good luck for Charlie today, hope everything goes ok x I'm sure he'll forgive you once he's home x

I hope it all goes well today and that he’s forgiven you when you get home! Xx

Charlie has had his health check the vet is happy his chest sounds clear and he wouldn't stay still for conscious xrays so we decided not to GA as his medication history didn't say anything about respiratory issues just "watery eye possibly pasturella" he's got some dandruff we though may he mites but the samples came back clear.

His teeth are ok just a few small spurs but nothing to worry about so hopefully a good hay diet will fix that

He does have conjunctivitis but info that's the worst he's got at this point I can live with that ��

Oh bless him, I'm glad Charlie got on well at the vet.

It might be worth trying to leave the carrier out somewhere permanently so he can explore it and not just associate it with the 'big bad vet'. Pop some treats in there from time to time, let him hop in and out of his own accord, work up to shutting the door for a second or two and open it straight back up, gradually extending the time if he seems relaxed in there.

Oh bless him, I'm glad Charlie got on well at the vet.

It might be worth trying to leave the carrier out somewhere permanently so he can explore it and not just associate it with the 'big bad vet'. Pop some treats in there from time to time, let him hop in and out of his own accord, work up to shutting the door for a second or two and open it straight back up, gradually extending the time if he seems relaxed in there.

So glad it went well today :thumb:

I agree with this :thumb: I’ve been known to feed pellets in the carrier each day when I had a quad of bunnies, none of whom liked the carrier :roll: they soon got to liking it :lol:

Oops! Sounds like a typical rabbit! Pleased he got a clean bill of health apart from the Conjunctivitus.

So glad it went well today :thumb:

I agree with this :thumb: I’ve been known to feed pellets in the carrier each day when I had a quad of bunnies, none of whom liked the carrier :roll: they soon got to liking it [emoji38]
Absolutely! It works for cats too, mine can't get in the carrier quick enough because he knows there'll be food involved. [emoji23][emoji23]

Glad Charlie got on ok today, and hope the eye clears up soon bless him, bet he still loves you xxxx

Glad Charlie's health check went ok. And I also subscribe to the pellets in the carrier idea. I'd personally use treats for mine - dried cranberries are their favorite noms, but they are usually coerced with food. And bunnies don't usually hold grudges. x

Back