• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Very awkward and disgusting habbit...

Hi my rabbit have a weird habbit...

They eat each others fur :( Is there anything I can
do about this? I tried using wipes to clean them often
but it doesn't seem to work...

Also, one of my rabbits hurt it's nail and it's bleeding
by the part were the nail grows. It's bleeding for abt 3
hours now :( ... any thing I can do abt that?

Hi,

If its bleeding heavily or the nail is hanging off then you need to see a vet as the nail might need to be removed. To stop the bleeding try corn flour or plain flour if you don't have that, that should help it clot and scab over. You can also try applying presure to the wound with a clean cloth/tisue if your bun will let you.

Tam

On the fur question... are they just grooming each other or actually pulling out the fur? Female rabbits will pluck fur when they are having a phantom pregnacy, usually from themselves but sometimes another bun. They then pile this up to make a nest.

What are you feeding them? Do they have plenty of good quality hay? Rabbits naturally spend a lot of time munching on grass in the wild and if they don't have enough hay as pets they can resort to chewing other things.

Boredom is another possible cause, make sure they have plenty of toys to keep them occupied also rabbit safe wood like apple.

Stress can also be behind over grooming, have you had them long? Is their anything in their environment that could be upsetting them such as lots of noise or other animals?

Bare in mind although its a bit icky to people grooming is very natural to bunnies and sometimes they just get carried away.

Best wishes,
Tam

They pluck fur... and eat them I think.
Cos i dont see any nest made of fur around...
So I separated the 3 of em for now until my other
"almost" furless rabbit recovers.

Anyways, I feed them Kaytee brand timothy hay.
Also, I'll get more toys for them to chew. Oh btw,
my rabbit is not bleeding anymore...

thanks for your advise :D

It is possible that the third rabbit is at the bottom of the hierachy and getting picked on. Are both of the other rabbits plucking it or just one?

Usually it is a psychological thing as Tamsin said due to bordem and stress - where do they live, do they have enough space to excersise during the day? However my guniea pigs did this to the third one because one day it seemed like they just decided not to like him - so I had to split them up permanently.

What sex, age, neutered state are all three? Do they have names - it is easier to refer to them then?

Where/when are you using the wipes/what type are they? It is possible that you keep wiping off their own scent which is confusing the other rabbits, or it could be an allergy to the wipes causing some of the hair loss.

Caz

well... the other 2 only gets a few.
But the other onelike u suspect always gets picked on.
I would take a photo of how she looks like right now, but
it's very discouraging. Right now I'm nursing her back to
health and will talk her to the vet later today.

I'm quite worried about her, she's not as active as she
was b4. All she does is sit and close hre eyes. What should
i do to de-stress her?

I believe Bach's rescue remedy is known to help stressed buns. Classical music always seems to help especially when on long car journeys (believe it or not - just not sure I can get used to it).

Lots of nose rubs and attention and loads of favourite food. When I thought I was going to lose Zeus we got through celery by the trolley full because it was his favourite - funny now he leaves it till last.

Caz

Back