• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So many Hay related questions

Buzzwizz619

Warren Scout
Has anyone brought from haybox.club? Any good?
Does hay go stale? If so how long does it stay fresh for?
Apparently it lasts longer if you store it correctly, what is the correct way to store it? (Indoors,currently i just leave it in the plastic bag it comes in)
Im thinking of ordering 10kg of meadow hay (Bunny is 1.7kg) how long would that last? or is Timothy hay better? or maybe i should just buy from pet shops for now figure out what he likes?
Is buying hay bales from horse places to risky (VHD2)? poor quality? or perfectly fine?

Also i keep seeing stuff about "long stem hay", is this longer pieces of hay? is this better?

Im sorry for all the questions, dried grass is surprisingly complicated!

Hay is designed to last from one harvest through to the next. If stored correctly (cool, dry and off the floor if outside) it will last for many months. It may get a little dusty towards the end of the year, but should still be OK to use. It should smell sweet or grassy. If it seems damp or mouldy, do not use it. Hay kept in plastic can sweat and develop mould. Duvet covers or pillow cases make good storage bags if you are keeping it outside (eg in a dry, airy shed or garage on a wooden pallet) or in a wheely bin in a cool corner out of direct sunshine.

Horse hay is fine. I use it all the time. It is a mixture of different grasses and sometimes other plants such as clover. Timothy is just one variety of grass.

All hay starts as grass in the field, so the risk of any contaminants or infections are similar wherever it is bought from. Bagged stuff started out as bales and then got a huge mark up in price.

Basically, any hay that your rabbit will eat lots of is a good hay. Bales are the cheapest way to buy it if you can store that much.

Has anyone brought from haybox.club? Any good?
Does hay go stale? If so how long does it stay fresh for?
Apparently it lasts longer if you store it correctly, what is the correct way to store it? (Indoors,currently i just leave it in the plastic bag it comes in)
Im thinking of ordering 10kg of meadow hay (Bunny is 1.7kg) how long would that last? or is Timothy hay better? or maybe i should just buy from pet shops for now figure out what he likes?
Is buying hay bales from horse places to risky (VHD2)? poor quality? or perfectly fine?

Also i keep seeing stuff about "long stem hay", is this longer pieces of hay? is this better?

Im sorry for all the questions, dried grass is surprisingly complicated![/QUOTE--dear bizzwizz619,-store grasses in a cool dry area,out of the sun-[like potatoes]-beware of moisture[molding]-timothy grasses are highest in non-digestible fibers,-and check quality before feeding..-hay is just a lose term for grasses,until one day at the farm supply store I ordered a bale of [hay],-so in my truck I see a bale of animal bedding[straw/hay]-I said "whats that"-response came "that's hay"-no I mean timothy/orchard rasses,--so you go figure??--sincerely james waller from across the great pond,usa

Supposedly! The not-long-stem stuff refers to the chopped stuff which is supposedly 'easier to eat' but the whole point with hay is it's something that takes time and effort :D It also goes dustier quicker. Personally I think chopping hay means they can ram more in a bag.

Mine get whatever I can get from the equestrian suppliers, sometimes it's stalky and they love it, sometimes it's more tube-y (made from tube-like grass) and they aren't keen. I usually keep a bag of P@H bedding hay in as well for emergencies. Oh yes, that's another thing! Bedding hay v feeding hay: there's no real difference, except feeding hay is usually very definite types of hay (Timothy and something else) whereas bedding is whatever. And a price hike for feeding obviously XD

If bunny isn't litter trained try putting some hay in the litter tray. They like to sit chewing while they pooh! Another good place for lots of excellent advice is the Rabbit Welfare Organisation's website. Hope Charlie settles down well.

I get mine from haybox and think its amazing. not dusty and nice and green too, it smells wonderful. I have allergies to hay it would seem, or rather the dust from it. other hays cause me to become quite itchy and sneeze.

the neat thing about haybox is that it actually comes in a box..so if you want to consider the environmental impact of hays coming in a plastic bag..it works well. of course it does also leave for concern about what if it was wet, unlike hays in a plastic bag it couldn't be left outside if you weren't in.. that being said tho I've not had any issues thus far.

others get hay from hay-and-straw.co.uk or timothyhay.co.uk, also heard of just4rabbits which is supposedly quite nice too :)

be sure to check local farmers too, I used to pick up a huge bale for £5, fitted in an outside storage box (just!). far cheaper than anywhere else in all honesty. equine shops are good too. its always cheaper to buy direct by the bale (but of course you need a car to transport it home).

just be sure at equine shops that its actual hay and not haylage, haylage is fermented grass/forage and isn't good for rabbits!

grasses/alert

I get mine from haybox and think its amazing. not dusty and nice and green too, it smells wonderful. I have allergies to hay it would seem, or rather the dust from it. other hays cause me to become quite itchy and sneeze.

the neat thing about haybox is that it actually comes in a box..so if you want to consider the environmental impact of hays coming in a plastic bag..it works well. of course it does also leave for concern about what if it was wet, unlike hays in a plastic bag it couldn't be left outside if you weren't in.. that being said tho I've not had any issues thus far.

others get hay from hay-and-straw.co.uk or timothyhay.co.uk, also heard of just4rabbits which is supposedly quite nice too :)

be sure to check local farmers too, I used to pick up a huge bale for £5, fitted in an outside storage box (just!). far cheaper than anywhere else in all honesty. equine shops are good too. its always cheaper to buy direct by the bale (but of course you need a car to transport it home).

just be sure at equine shops that its actual hay and not haylage, haylage is fermented grass/forage and isn't good for rabbits!
dear binkycodie,--with the viruses/myxi,etc.--I would invest money in oxbow-or-a company where there is no chance of grasses being contaminated with unacceptable weeds,dirt-mold-worse yet insecticides-and virus[myxi]-,etc.--sincerely james waller from across the great pond,usa

I’m thinking of getting hay box, it is a lot more expensive but my asthma is terrible with the latest load of timothyhay.

Hay box is great- I ordered for the first time last month and was impressed with their meadow hay.
This month I just ordered a box of meadow and a box of Timothy. I am very impressed.
Come in boxes- no plastic and a fast and efficient company who are only too happy to answer my many questions I asked before purchasing.
I ahve a rabbit and a guinea pig in each group who suffers from lung and breathing issues and this hay has been great and not irritated their chests at all. I am very impressed - not dusty at all.
I cannot praise hay box enough. Before I have tried so many store bought hays and they have disappointed.
I highly recommend them 😊

dear binkycodie,--with the viruses/myxi,etc.--I would invest money in oxbow-or-a company where there is no chance of grasses being contaminated with unacceptable weeds,dirt-mold-worse yet insecticides-and virus[myxi]-,etc.--sincerely james waller from across the great pond,usa

tbh with you though, RHD virus are airborne..so it doesn't really matter where I buy hay from in reality! opening a door, walking outside, letting them outside - could all allow the virus to infect my rabbits. I think where you buy hay from is extremely trivial in the grand reality of things. of course I wouldn't put them in direct risk, such as placing them with rabbits who are infected/unwell..but in the scheme of it, hay is rather trivial. anything could infect my rabbits or cause them to become unwell. the only protection is to vaccinate and take obvious procautionary measures..such as if you've touched or walked next to an infected rabbit, don't contaminate. but otherwise, I think its fairly useless worrying about that.

all hay is grown outside (id presume so anyways!) - oxbows hay could become infected as its once been outside. plus oxbows hay is very dusty, often poor quality (doesn't smell nice and fresh and is often very brown) and its often very finely cut, or its chopped hay. most rabbits don't like that, and having long stalky hay is far better. I've never been impressed with their hay at all. plus its very expensive..they only provide piddly bags that don't last very long at all imho.

most companies that provide hay for animals don't use pesticides, its why sometimes you can get a bad batch. I had a few bad batches from hay and straw due to that, that being said I emailed them and got a replacement. its just something that happens and it could happen to any hay. I've had people say that oxbows or burgess's hay has had bugs or larvae in it, even things like bits of metal, plastic etc!

so I think really, any company has the chance to have 'infected' hay :D no one company would be safe, at all. I don't think any one hay company is riskier than another, all have had their misshaps or issues :)

I’m thinking of getting hay box, it is a lot more expensive but my asthma is terrible with the latest load of timothyhay.

I'd def recommend it!! its not dusty at all (or at least in my experience), its lovely and green too. not as stalky as timothy hay.co.uk.. however mine love it anyways :) I have hayfever / allergies and other hays always flared up for me, I'd start coughing and be unable to breath and my hands would itch like mad. I swapped to the haybox for my own selfish reasons above and I'm glad the rabbits like it as it doesn't bother me at all.

I'm sure they'd be happy to mail you a sample for you to try and see for yourself. if not, maybe one of the members on this forum could! I know I might be able to do it :)

Thanks Binkycodie- it’s good to know it’s great for allergies and that it’s lovely and green :D I want to try haybox for the reasons you’ve mentioned

I’ve asked for a sample a few times, but I’ve never had a response from the company. But based on what you’ve said I have a feeling they’ll like it :D

Back