• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best diet

Help1234

Young Bun
Hiya,

My sister and I are first time bunny owners to two lovely little Netherland Dwarves, who have a wild grandparent or parent in there somewhere. (Apparently that makes for very cheeky and lively buns! We have nothing to compare them to though!) they are brothers, and we had the usual drama of them fighting in adolescence etc. But now a lovely lady has had them for 10 days to bond them and they’re back to loving and cuddling each other and running riot leaping around her house - we get them back tomorrow and can’t wait.

So my question - we have them on standard pet shop/Tesco hay, Burgess Excel dwarf/junior pellets and whatever greens we can get - usually Savoy cabbage or kale. But we’d like to mix it up with some nicer hay (they love even the cheap hay and eat it very well, and have unlimited access), plus foraged greens and dried/fresh herbs etc. Can anyone recommend what kind of hay is best? I see a lot about Timothy hay, and then there is oat hay, meadow hay etc etc!! And all these different companies. Has anyone used HayExperts? Or HayBox? Or Timothy Hay? (What even IS Timothy hay?!)

I used to have horses and they just got hay!!! Much less complicated (and I massively resent paying the huge mark ups for rabbit hay!! But we can’t store a whole bale unfortunately)

Many thanks!

I get my timothy hay from https://www.timothyhay.co.uk/ as do several other forum members. I have always found it to be exceptionally good quality. The smallest bag is 10kgs though, so I don't know whether you would have room for this.

There is nothing wrong with cheaper hay bought from a pet shop or supermarket though if it's good quality and importantly if your rabbits eat lots of it.

If you do think you would have room for 10kgs, you could contact the company and request a sample.

Thank you, I don’t really have any concept of how big 10kg is 😂😂. I’ll check the current bag we have a multiply upwards!! I had heard good things about that company, maybe we’ll give them a go!

My bag is quite new and I've just been outside to check the size for you. Very approximately it's 55cm x 45cm x 30cm. The hay is quite compressed. I got what's described as the 'new batch' and 'very green' and am very pleased with it.

I second what Omi has said about Timothy hay from Timothy hay.Co.uk, my bunnies both love it :love:

Great thank you so much! I think that’s what we’re going to go for. The boys are home and being good so far 😄

Back