• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dara -Updated 12th May

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
It seems as though the seizure she had after her Nobivac Vaccination and the 'Snuffles' she developed after her Eravac Vaccination were not 'one off' problems. I have not mentioned that she has had ongoing issues til now, but as they are becoming more serious I really would appreciate some vibes for her. Her next Vet appointment is on Friday morning. The poor wee soul cannot cope with even minimal exercise and she has had two more seizures.

She is also losing weight and she has never even reached 1kg at her 'heaviest'. She eats well and her GI tract motility is good. But a heart problem is a real possibility. I have a horrible feeling Dara may not see her first Birthday.

Tried to keep all this to myself as I know some folk dont approve of how I obtained her. But today I am feeling really low and seeing such a frail little Bunny seemingly disappearing before my eyes is breaking my heart :cry:

Last edited:
Oh Jane , I'm so sorry to hear this. Poor little Dara, I really hope that the vet can figure out exactly what the problem is, and offer some hope. I've no idea how you obtained her, but to me it doesn't matter one jot. I think all of your bunnies, past and present, were meant to be with you, no one could take better care of them in my opinion. Sending loads of vibes for Dara, and a hug for you xxxxx

Oh Jane , I'm so sorry to hear this. Poor little Dara, I really hope that the vet can figure out exactly what the problem is, and offer some hope. I've no idea how you obtained her, but to me it doesn't matter one jot. I think all of your bunnies, past and present, were meant to be with you, no one could take better care of them in my opinion. Sending loads of vibes for Dara, and a hug for you xxxxx

Thank you. She came from a Pet Shop. She was being kept in a Fish Tank with an Adult Guinea Pig who was bullying her and trying to hump her non stop. So of course by buying her I am just 'encouraging' the Pet Shop to continue as they are

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...eavour-Dara-Final-Update/page2&highlight=dara

Thank you. She came from a Pet Shop. She was being kept in a Fish Tank with an Adult Guinea Pig who was bullying her and trying to hump her non stop. So of course by buying her I am just 'encouraging' the Pet Shop to continue as they are

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...eavour-Dara-Final-Update/page2&highlight=dara
Sorry she's unwell, I wish I knew more tbh.

For where she came from, I get it like it's not good, but Fleur came from pets at home and blimey, I have no regrets, maybe it's selfish but she was my world. I never want to get bunnies from a breeder or a pet shop again, but tbh if I saw something like that with dara, I'd have bought her too.. It's hard to watch :/ and I'd never chose that route on purpose, but she needed saving just as much as any other bun.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Sending lots of vibes for her:cry: I really hope she will be ok. At least she is in the best hands xx

I cant bear to think of losing her :cry:

eZ5m8O2.jpg

jFoEfaj.jpg

Dara wouldn't have had anything like the quality of life she has now had you not taken her on. You didn't cause the situation - you were left to pick up the pieces of someone else's lack of forethought.

Sending millions of vibes for teh absolutely gorgeous little Dara - who is extremely fortunate to have a carer like you fighting her corner for her. xx

Sending lots of vibes for her, she certainly looks happy enough within herself with your love and care.

I'm so very sorry to read this about your precious little girlie :( Sending loads of vibes for her and for her vet appointment on Friday.

It seems as though the seizure she had after her Nobivac Vaccination and the 'Snuffles' she developed after her Eravac Vaccination were not 'one off' problems. I have not mentioned that she has had ongoing issues til now, but as they are becoming more serious I really would appreciate some vibes for her. Her next Vet appointment is on Friday morning. The poor wee soul cannot cope with even minimal exercise and she has had two more seizures.

She is also losing weight and she has never even reached 1kg at her 'heaviest'. She eats well and her GI tract motility is good. But a heart problem is a real possibility. I have a horrible feeling Dara may not see her first Birthday.

Tried to keep all this to myself as I know some folk dont approve of how I obtained her. But today I am feeling really low and seeing such a frail little Bunny seemingly disappearing before my eyes is breaking my heart :cry:

That's really heartbreaking. I didn't follow the previous conversation about how you obtained her but... the state she's in is kinda why most people will tell you not to buy from a petshop. I know a lot of people who bought a first (sometimes a second) rabbit from a petshop and switched to breeders / rescues after watching them die before they made it to their first birthday. That's actually really common. A lot of petshop animals are horribly consanguineous and fraught with health problems. I'm not telling you this to make you feel bad (even though I'm a criminal law major specializing in mafias and you wouldn't believe where the money coming from petshops' animals goes, but that's a talk for a less desperate time). On the contrary : if she dies, it means nothing could have been done, she just has crappy genetics. You're doing everything you can, unfortunately there are situations in which the odds are stacked against you and even the best of care is not enough. I wish you both the best of luck - I really hope she makes it.

Doesn't matter where she came from. You were meant to have and care for her for however long. Sending vibes and love xxx

Poor, poor Dara and what an incredibly stressful and worrying time for you too Jane. Wishing her every recovery vibe possible.

On a side note, after now learning where she came from and the fact you said on your original thread that she was only 6 weeks old means that a law has been broken and the pet shop has sold you an underage animal. I would report the place to the relevant authorities!!

That's really heartbreaking. I didn't follow the previous conversation about how you obtained her but... the state she's in is kinda why most people will tell you not to buy from a petshop. I know a lot of people who bought a first (sometimes a second) rabbit from a petshop and switched to breeders / rescues after watching them die before they made it to their first birthday. That's actually really common. A lot of petshop animals are horribly consanguineous and fraught with health problems. I'm not telling you this to make you feel bad (even though I'm a criminal law major specializing in mafias and you wouldn't believe where the money coming from petshops' animals goes, but that's a talk for a less desperate time). On the contrary : if she dies, it means nothing could have been done, she just has crappy genetics. You're doing everything you can, unfortunately there are situations in which the odds are stacked against you and even the best of care is not enough. I wish you both the best of luck - I really hope she makes it.
This happened to me, which is why I just can't with pet shops anymore, I know they're wrong for other reasons but I think there's something seriously wrong with their 'stock'..

But then I think... Lots of them must be okay and end up in rescues... And go on to live long lives.. Bit of a tangent [emoji38]

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Well in the interest of honesty, Pip was bought from a pet shop and she was the healthiest of all three of my bunnies. So while the majority can be compromised, it's not always the rule. Pip was being bullied by another bunny, so yes, we took her. We weren't going to leave her there to endure that. Someone else immediately snapped up the bully bunny. Pip lived to be 10 years, approximately.

I'm so sad to hear about Dara, Jane. But had you not acquired her she'd likely already be gone and any good time she's had with you is better than that. :love:

I'll include the wee lassie in my prayers. That sneezing is so like what Mimzy used to do. Has she been tested for E.C. as well?

Also, I heard that little grr there, Morse. ;) xxxx

Thanks everyone. Thankfully once she has recovered from exercise she is fine. No sneezing/coughing fits. Her symptoms are the same as those two Baby Rex Brothers I once had, David & Becks. They both had congenital heart disease and their symptoms started at about 6 months of age. David died aged just over 1 year and Becks died about 11 months later :cry:

shCn1wB.jpg

As things are at the moment I have no intention of having Dara spayed

As things are at the moment I have no intention of having Dara spayed
Given what she's got going on already it seems like she could do without any extra stress on her little body, indeed :( Best wishes for her. I hope it's something she can push on through, she's such a little darling, and a fighter too :)

Back