• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rebonding Pickle and Beans eventually...When should I try?

So, the new run arrived and is half set up in the garden (no top on it yet). I decided to give them another try and put a couple of small apple branches (donated by my neighbours) in as a distraction.
I think we had very slight progress. Initially they were both more interested in checking out the run and then they approached each other, nose to nose. At that point the boxing and fighting started again. I used the very soft mop head to seperate them. They carried on attacking and then resting in repetition for a bit. I did laugh when they carried on fighting the mop after they’d been seperated though! They then ignored each other for a few minutes, one of them was periscoping in the corner with his back to the other at one point and they both had a sniff of the branches. They then decided to carry on the fight again. I seperated them at that point. There was some fur pulling but no injuries, well apart from a bruised bite mark to my hand! That was the point when I decided to switch to the nearby mop!
I think I’ll try them together again in a day or too as I do think there was very slight progress. They may never want to be together but whilst it’s not causing them any issues trying I’ll carry on.

oh well, slight progress is better than no progress, maybe with a few distractions they might settle down together. Sorry had to smile at thought of them fighting the mop-silly boys :lol: good luck though !

My neighbour was looking over the fence at them and was laughing as she said they were fighting like girls waving their hands about! Oh well, what will be will be... :D

I remember when I had to rebond my two after they suddenly started fighting after they'd been happily bonded for about three months. On the first night they kept going for each other. It was like everytime they looked at each other they would just get riled up. I don't know how but I managed to power through it, although I'm pretty sure I lost my sanity at some point in the early hours. They eventually settled down later in the morning. The atmosphere was a bit spiky for a couple of weeks but they did rebond successfully.

There were moments of hope that got me through it. Bizarrely, they sometimes groomed each other in between their boxing rounds. That convinced me there was a salvageable bond there and gave me the encouragement to persevere.

So, I would take heart from any positive progress they make. Hopefully after a fee more sessions you'll be in a better position to gauge whether you can get them back together.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

I remember when I had to rebond my two after they suddenly started fighting after they'd been happily bonded for about three months. On the first night they kept going for each other. It was like everytime they looked at each other they would just get riled up. I don't know how but I managed to power through it, although I'm pretty sure I lost my sanity at some point in the early hours. They eventually settled down later in the morning. The atmosphere was a bit spiky for a couple of weeks but they did rebond successfully.

There were moments of hope that got me through it. Bizarrely, they sometimes groomed each other in between their boxing rounds. That convinced me there was a salvageable bond there and gave me the encouragement to persevere.

So, I would take heart from any positive progress they make. Hopefully after a fee more sessions you'll be in a better position to gauge whether you can get them back together.

sound advice from Scrappy. Good luck & calming vibes

Scrappy's story sounds like they're a couple of sets of Essex girls (I know enough like it!) having a spat and then doing each other's hair XD Best of luck :D

Scrappy's story sounds like they're a couple of sets of Essex girls (I know enough like it!) having a spat and then doing each other's hair XD Best of luck :D
[emoji23] It was exactly like that! Funnily enough one of them did come from a rescue in Essex so that would explain it!

Thanks guys.
So last night I was watching TV when I heard a kerfuffle coming from the kitchen. I went to investigate and discovered that I hadn’t shut the divide properly and Pickle had squeezed out through the gap and into Beans side. They were fighting (the water bowl had been knocked as there was water everywhere!). When I went in Pickle (at least I think it was him), hightailed it back over into his side squeezing back through the gap. He turned to face Beans who grunted at him, so Pickle backed into his section followed by Beans and the carried on fighting. I managed to get into the area at this point and they both seperated as I went to grab one of them. I got Pickle and locked Beans into the section (it’s easier to catch him on that side) and brought Pickle into the lounge. I checked him over and he had no injuries, just a couple of pulled fur tufts, but his heart was beating incredibly fast. I gave him some strokes on my knee for about 5 minutes whilst he recovered. I put him back in the kitchen on Beans side (as they were due to swap sides that evening anyway). After a minute he went over to the divide and Beans came up to the divide too. Pickle stuck his nose through and gave Beans a few licks. I’m not sure what happened next, but a paw came through to try and fight him and Pickle ran off.
I went to pick up Beans to check him over and the little git grunted at me as I picked him up! He was fine too and settled down happily for a fuss for 20 minutes.
This morning Pickle was sat on top of the tub by the divide and Beans was in the litter tray next to the divide. Pickle had obviously been sat on the snugglesafe next to the divide overnight too. Honestly, they’ll be the death of me!

:( I bet your heart rate was pretty high too. They do seem quite scrappy, must be hugely stressful for you. I'm pleased there are no injuries though. I hope you have some more relaxing activities lined up for the weekend x

Have you considered sending them to someone who bonds rabbits? Only reason I say it, is everything you described was Atticus and Clementine.. I was convinced it would never work.. But the new spooky environment, cats, dogs, a screaming baby... They came back friends.. [emoji38] Tbh they were very relaxed when I picked them up from the place.

They've fallen out now.. Because Clementine is unwell.. Idk what triggered that, I think she was just lashing out at everyone by the sounds of it. She bit a lot of people at the vets that day.. [emoji51] I tried to introduce them again a few times.. But what happened before (very close to what you described) happened again. So they're living separately atm as Clementine is still not right and her future is uncertain, but if I ever decide to put them back, I think I'll take them to a bonder again [emoji38]

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

So, this morning, despite my shutting the divide, the box that secured it had gradually moved and Beans squeezed himself through a two inch gap to get to Pickle. Once again, the sound of the scuffle alerted me. The gits saw me come into the kitchen and moved the fight to under the table where it’s hard to get to them. I went down one side of the table and so they moved to the other side, just out of reach. Repeat this x3. They then decided to jump into the cage base, which is their other place to hide if I’m trying to catch them. I managed to grab Beans. By the time I’d stood up, Pickle was sat eating hay as if nothing had happened! Checked them both over and no bites apparaent, just a few tufts of fur pulled.
About 10 minutes later Mum arrived. They have learnt that she will give them a treat and so we had the usual take a treat and run off with it routine. Mum was stood chatting to me on Pickle’s side whilst I brewed up, Pickle usually ignores her. This time he was all over her, sniffing and trying to nibble her shoes and up on his hind legs, paws on her legs. Generally, making a total adorable nuisance of himself. Beans was then up at the divide poking his nose through asking for grooms. Pickle managed to drag himself away from Mum long enough to give him a quick lick. Beans continued to ask for grooms, but Pickle decided to try and give him a quick nip instead this time. By the time I went back into the kitchen to put our now empty cups in there, they were both bun loafed next to each other against the divide. :roll:

Unbonded bunnies are nothing if not inconsistent - that's my experience anyway.

Love;y to hear of Pickles bonding with Nana :love:

Back