• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rebonding Pickle and Beans eventually...When should I try?

Glingle

Warren Veteran
As you may have seen in health, Pickle and Beans had to be separated on Friday when they started fighting having been neutered the day before. They are both recovering well from their ops and are eating and drinking normally and back to causing mischief.
We’ve made a temporary set up in the kitchen/diner so that they can be kept seperate but can still interact with each other. Unfortunately, I couldn’t make the two enclosures equal sizes, but they are swapping enclosures each day.
The kitchen side, modelled yesterday by Pickle
sQxnAKMl.jpg

The table side, modelled yesterday by Beans.
eHNdzqPl.jpg

We’ve used my toolbox and a tub full of rock salt to secure the gate and prevent escapes. Beans has however discovered that it makes a great vantage point.
LJwEC2yl.jpg

Regardless of which side he’s on, Beans is desperate to interact with Pickle and unless he’s eating, is sticking his nose through the bars or sat next to them. I feel really sorry for Beans. Pickle isn’t really fussed, but will wander over every now and then to see him.
nkaGya9l.jpg

DvGrZwBl.jpg

I wasn’t sure initially when Beans was pushing his nose through to Pickle’s nose if he was trying to bite him. Given that Pickle stays there for 5 seconds or so, I’ve concluded that he’s giving him a quick lick. Beans has also started honking when he runs over to Pickle.
I experimented by putting them both on the sofa this afternoon, whilst I was poised and with the carrier next to me to seperate them immediately if needed. There was no aggression, Beans was insistent in humping Pickle, who just let him get on with it. I pushed Beans off, he licked Pickle’s ears and then it was back to humping, at which point I seperated them. Obviously, their hormones need to calm down, but it’s such an improvement from Friday.
We were chatting to someone in the waiting room at the vets yesterday and she suggested we try using a pet remedy plug in diffuser. Thanks to Amazon Prime, one arrived this afternoon, it says it works in all pets, I’m wondering if it works on humans too!

Last edited:
Beautiful photos, I love the high rise vantage spot! and I hope the pet remedy works - my suggestion would be a large glass of something other than pet remedy for the human :)

Aren't they looking handsome - I love them more now they are growing up. Yes wine & gin come highly recommended at such times. I bought some pet rescue remedy but kinda lost faith when the only time I remember to use it the boys had their fight where Rudey got hurt. This of course doesn't mean it won't work, just that I lost faith in it personally. It wasinteresting to hear what tonibun said about a hormone spike post neuter

It can take several weeks for the hormones to settle down but hopefully eventually the boys will get back together again XX

They are just adorable :love: I hope that they will rebond once those pesky hormones have subsided:thumb:

Aren't they looking handsome - I love them more now they are growing up. Yes wine & gin come highly recommended at such times. I bought some pet rescue remedy but kinda lost faith when the only time I remember to use it the boys had their fight where Rudey got hurt. This of course doesn't mean it won't work, just that I lost faith in it personally. It wasinteresting to hear what tonibun said about a hormone spike post neuter

I learned this piece of info from D&P! This is probably why a lot of post neutered buns lose their litter training etc.

I put snugglesafes down last night as I was a bit concerned that Beans would camp out on the tiled floor next to Pickle last night. They obviously used them as I found them like this, this morning.

Lqf1Qtyl.jpg

dwDXpicl.jpg

Is it just me or does Beans look like he’s had a night out on the tiles and got a hangover in that last photo? Not sure if it’s that or just disgust at having the barrier still in place! :lol::love:

Aww they’re so adorable!! You could be me and my sister and our buns, but you sound a lot more knowledgeable and experienced. We had a similar set up to you, swapping every day, for THREE MONTHS (in our living room!!) because we weren’t brave enough to try rebonding ourselves. Hope it all goes well for you! (Ours are back from rabbit rehab tomorrow - can’t wait!!)

Oh...I'm sorry but Beans has got you down in his grudge book I'm afraid. Just look at that face.
They are wonderful photos and a very positive update and it seems to me that they do want to be together, but I think their hormones are just preventing that right now.
As a side note, just to let you into the world of plotting nethies, we discovered this morning, that we had no internet. The box thing worked, but no signal. Upon investigation, it was determined that the cable that runs from the telephone in box, to the router had been 'sabotaged' - or to put it in simpler terms....chewed clean in half. This cable is behind our sofa - a place we figured was out of bounds for Henry and we had blocked it off (or so we thought). Seems Henry the nethie had other ideas. So beware in getting the wrong side of a nethie - they quietly, stealthily and unwittingly plot revenge and they are experts at exacting it.
But great to see the lushuous Pickles and Beans looking and behaving much better.

Aww they’re so adorable!! You could be me and my sister and our buns, but you sound a lot more knowledgeable and experienced. We had a similar set up to you, swapping every day, for THREE MONTHS (in our living room!!) because we weren’t brave enough to try rebonding ourselves. Hope it all goes well for you! (Ours are back from rabbit rehab tomorrow - can’t wait!!)
I’ve had bunnies for about 20 years now, blimey that makes me really old :lol: but it’s still a huge learning curve with them. I’m really impressed that you managed to keep them seperate for 3 whole months! I hope they behave themselves when they come home, you must have really missed them.

Oh...I'm sorry but Beans has got you down in his grudge book I'm afraid. Just look at that face.
They are wonderful photos and a very positive update and it seems to me that they do want to be together, but I think their hormones are just preventing that right now.
As a side note, just to let you into the world of plotting nethies, we discovered this morning, that we had no internet. The box thing worked, but no signal. Upon investigation, it was determined that the cable that runs from the telephone in box, to the router had been 'sabotaged' - or to put it in simpler terms....chewed clean in half. This cable is behind our sofa - a place we figured was out of bounds for Henry and we had blocked it off (or so we thought). Seems Henry the nethie had other ideas. So beware in getting the wrong side of a nethie - they quietly, stealthily and unwittingly plot revenge and they are experts at exacting it.
But great to see the lushuous Pickles and Beans looking and behaving much better.
Yep, you’re right Craig. Beans in not impressed with me. I do feel so sorry for him though, he’s always keeping a eye out for Pickle. They’ve swapped sides for the day and so he has to wait for Pickle to come over to him. Beans is then frantically running back and forth along the bars to get his attention, honking away and sticking his nose as far through the bars as possible. Pickle will nose bump him and maybe they’ll give a lick and then Pickle is off again. Poor Beans.
Well done Henry, that’s a good bit of stealth sabotage you pulled off there!

I love that last photo, warming their little botties :D I so hope they are soon back together, it's looking hopeful though x

So, when should I attempt to rebound them? They were neutered on 2nd May. Beans has continued to honk and look for Pickle at the bars and give him the odd lick through the bars. More recently though, Beans has been less bothered about looking for Pickle, whereas he was desperate to see him before. Pickle has started looking for Beans more often though recently and I’ve seen Pickle giving Beans a decent groom through the bars. Pickle is a little git and tries to escape when he’s on the smaller, kitchen side of the bars. He managed it this afternoon and ran straight over to Beans. They were nose to nose for a few seconds. Beans asked for a groom (nose down), Pickle gave him a lick and then decided to hump him. We then had a circle dance where they were each trying to hump each other. I think it was Pickle trying to keep hold of Beans back and Beans turning round to get him, if you can picture that. They were however both aware that I was trying to get them as they were moving away from me, no matter which side of the table I tried to get them from! I eventually seperated them after a minute or so. Neither of them were upset or hurt by the escape.
It’s been a long time since I bonded rabbits and with Bramble and Parsley and then Willow and Parsley, they just sat down together and that was it! Do I wait until their hormones have settled in maybe 3 weeks time? I know chasing and humping is normal, but should I be concerned about the “humping circle” as a danger sign? Any advice gratefully received.,

I think the usual advice is to wait for 6 weeks post neuter, especially with spring fever in the air it might be best to wait. But not everyone does wait this long :thumb:

I’d be more worried about chasing and circling than humping as that’s what’s more likely to develop into a fight in my experience.

I’d be more worried about chasing and circling than humping as that’s what’s more likely to develop into a fight in my experience.
Not that I've ever bonded bunnies so have 0 experience, but my two have always humped a bit (Aboleth on Lopsy :roll:) but it's never really developed into chasing and circling for more than a few seconds, they separate themselves before it goes that far (Lopsy runs off), so it certainly sounds like it';s the worst of the two :S

Back