• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I really need some advice!

Gem

Wise Old Thumper
After I last posted about Smokey, Hazel and Poppet living together, I got home to find my neighbours brats had got in and let everyone out :x

After gathering everyone in again, I found Hazel was missing :cry: Luckily I found her over the other side of the fence.

Anyhow, since her return I have got her separated from the others so I can keep an eye on her, the thing is she's really quiet, not herself at all.
We've been to the vets, tested for everything possible, no teeth problems, she's still eating, pooping etc.

She sits all hunched up in the corner of her hutch, she doesn't move much, even in the run, She was like it when she was with Poppet and Smokey she's just got worse since she's been on her own.

I don't know what to do :?: I hope that made sense :roll:

Can anyone help or shed light on this?

A worried bunny mum and an 'out of sorts' Hazel x

Oh poor you and poor Hazel - I think the little brats should get a right good belt.

When did this happen?

I wonder if she is so quiet and subdued through stress - rabbits can get traumatised and it sounds like she has been through quite a time of it.

If she is worse now that she is apart from the other buns it might be best to put her back in with them (if this is possible).

I assume your vet gave her a good check over - if their is no physical damage and her poos etc are fine then it would suggest some type of phsychological problem.

Is she eating okay?

Is there anyway you could ask next door what they did with her when they let her out?

I know I am not being much help but I think it is probably best if you try to get her into her normal safe surroundings. maybe being with the other bunnies might help.

Sorry I am not being much good here - hopefully someone else will be more help for you.

Please let s know how she is - I hope you send the vets bill to your neighbour.

lol Pam, Kim & Aggie

Poor, poor Hazel. What a shame that this had to happen to her..I am so sorry...please keep us informed.

how old are the neighbours children Gem. Very young children tend to scream and shout when they are excited, this would scare any animal, especail if they have been chased.

Hazel might be worried that this will happen again, is she back in the same place that these children let her out of :?: I think you are going to have to put some safety measures in place like padlocks so it will not happen again.

I would put her back with her mates, it will probably reasure her a bit, but I would monitor them to make sure she had not fallen out with her hutch mates

I hope you got an oppologise off your neighbour and an explantion :?:

Poor Gem, you've been having a lot of problems with people getting to your buns. I really feel for you.

I agree with everyone else, I would seriously consider taking more precautions particularly if children can get to the buns easily. Do you have padlocks on your hutches/runs? Are they young children, can you scare them with the police? Have you managed to make the boundries of your garden safe?

It looks like Hazel is maybe very frightened. Perhaps she was dropped or slightly hurt. As you know, it doesn't take much to hurt a rabbit. I would put her back in with the others, she may gather comfort from them, but keep an eye on the dynamics of the group.

Do you have any Rescue Remedy, a few drops of this in their water should help to calm them all down. I'm not sure what other Bach remedies you could use, perhaps one of the others can suggest something.

Hi,
oh bless her!

I would put her back in with her companions, shes probably feeling very insecure and lonely without them.
did your vet treat her for shock? Shes also probably very traumatized.

keep us posted x

I agree she should be put in with her pals.

You don't know what those lovely children :evil: did but they certainly frightened her. She could have been scared by a dog.

Can you put a padlock on the hutch door when you are away, or better still do you have a shed where you can put the hutch?? My buns live in their hutch in the shed usually but I have brought them in for the winter months, they are in a hutch & run in the spare room.

I hope your bun is ok soon
let us know
June

Hi,

I had the same problem with the children down the road they were aware I had bunnies. I ended up putting padlocks on the hutches and on the back gate then if they do get in they are in real trouble!!!!! :lol: :lol:

It's seems to have done the job and I feel happy that they are safe when I'm not around, I also have locks on the runs but that was mainly because one rabbit managed to lift the top up and get out!!!!

Maureen

It happened on Saturday,

The neighbours kids are 9 and 12 I think.

She's eating fine and everything just really quiet, I brought her indoor last night and she really perked up.

When she was with her brother and sister she was really quiet, its just got worse since she was on her own.

I put Rescue Remedy in her water as It has been a great help in the past, I have a fantastic vet who checked everything, we were there for an hour :!:

My biggest problem now is that two of my males aren't neutered as they are still to small :roll:

She's in a separate hutch in close proximity to the rest of the warren.

I've had police in before but they say theres not a lot they can do as theres no evidence, there are padlocks on all hutchs but me being totally stupid had left them off as I was only out for an hour :cry:

June- I have 11, I don't think they'd all fit in my shed :?

Glad she is ok now.
Didn't realize you had 11, you would need a BIG shed :lol:
Get yourself a large rottweiler that likes to eat children, that ought to do the trick
Take care
June

Quick update:

I put her back with her sister and brother but they started fighting :cry: so she's vback on her own until I can sort something out.

Back