• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pickle and Beans have been neutered U/D fighting

Phew, I’m so relieved for you :love: I’m sure they will feel much better once they are home too :thumb:

Bunnies are safely home. They were both up at the front of the carrier looking out, when I went to collect them. They’ve had a pain relief injection this morning. I’ve got some left over loxicom and can phone to get a dosage if they seem in pain later on. Back on Sunday morning for a check up.
Since being home, they’ve both had a drink and nibble of hay. Somebun has had a wee in the litter tray too. I’ve got them in the sectioned off part of the kitchen they were in as babies so I can keep a close eye on them and catch them twice a day to check on their wounds. Pickle has discovered that he can still fit down the gap behind the hay tray and the cupboard base unit. He has also managed to escape once and had a leisurely paced lap of the kitchen/diner whilst I tried to catch him....

Bunnies are safely home. They were both up at the front of the carrier looking out, when I went to collect them. They’ve had a pain relief injection this morning. I’ve got some left over loxicom and can phone to get a dosage if they seem in pain later on. Back on Sunday morning for a check up.
Since being home, they’ve both had a drink and nibble of hay. Somebun has had a wee in the litter tray too. I’ve got them in the sectioned off part of the kitchen they were in as babies so I can keep a close eye on them and catch them twice a day to check on their wounds. Pickle has discovered that he can still fit down the gap behind the hay tray and the cupboard base unit. He has also managed to escape once and had a leisurely paced lap of the kitchen/diner whilst I tried to catch him....
Haha. Sounds like naughty Nethies to me. Glad they are both doing well.

Nipped out to the shops and it looks like somebun tried to have a bath in the water bowl! Water everywhere and two slightly soggy bunnies grooming themselves dry... I popped a warm snugglesafe in with them to make sure they don’t get a chill, but of course it’s being ignored. Beans is still drying himself off and Pickle is stuffing his face with pellets, so I think they’re doing well. We also have poo! Thank you all so much for your support, it really helped x

It sounds as though the boys are well and truly on the mend now. Brace yourself for lots more double trouble very soon !! :lol:

Hmm so the bunnies have fallen out. I’m wondering if that was why the water was everywhere earlier. They are jumping up in the air at each other when when approaches the other and avoiding each other. I’ve currently got them in the carrier with me in the lounge with one side of the top open and they’re doing a good job of ignoring each other. Pickle approached Beans in the carrier earlier and Beans lunged towards him. I had my hand ready so there was no contact made between them.
I checked their wounds when I put them in the carrier and they both look very swollen underneath. How swollen should they look? I’m assuming that if they’re uncomfortable then that’s going to affect their behaviour towards each other. Do I separate them now? I could put the cage in the sectioned off area of the kitchen I suppose so they can both see each other. Any thoughts?
Feeling really rubbish about getting them neutered now and for getting two boys....

I'm sorry to read this after all was going so well. I would be tempted to contact the vet and ask if he/she can see them regarding the wounds.
This may just be something to do with the after effects of the op, but I'm not an expert on that. It would be too early for the horemones to adjust post op so not sure why there is some disagreement. Sending more vibes for Pickles and Beans. xx

I haven't the experience to offer advice either with the swelling or the fighting but I do understand the stress of the situation and the 'what ifs'.

I hope their wounds are okay and they love each other again son.

So, rightly or wrongly I’ve separated them. I couldn’t relax with them unsupervised in the kitchen and I’m thinking that they were unable to fully relax too, due to being on alert for each other approaching. I’ll swap them over at some point so they keep smelling each other and get the same amount of space. They’ve said hello briefly through the bars but both are far more interested in eating after a quick check of their new environments.
5C8Buvfl.jpg

So, rightly or wrongly I’ve separated them. I couldn’t relax with them unsupervised in the kitchen and I’m thinking that they were unable to fully relax too, due to being on alert for each other approaching. I’ll swap them over at some point so they keep smelling each other and get the same amount of space. They’ve said hello briefly through the bars but both are far more interested in eating after a quick check of their new environments.
5C8Buvfl.jpg

That sounds like a sensible plan for you all. They are still in contact and maybe they will realise they miss each other!!

Hopefully the swelling will go down in a few days. I am sorry they have fought, there is a spike in hormones after a neuter so maybe this has caused that. Them falling out would have probably happened though anyway if you hadn't had them neutered, sooner or later. They reckon on 6 - 8 weeks for hormones to subside. It is a shame though but don't let it get you down.

I’m sure it will all work out in the end. If all else fails I can have one living in the lounge and one in the kitchen! The temporary set up is okay at the moment, unless I need to use the dishwasher or get in the cupboard! Slightly wishing I had longer arms too. Have given them both a snugglesafe as Pickles ears seemed quite cold.

I’m sure it will all work out in the end. If all else fails I can have one living in the lounge and one in the kitchen! The temporary set up is okay at the moment, unless I need to use the dishwasher or get in the cupboard! Slightly wishing I had longer arms too. Have given them both a snugglesafe as Pickles ears seemed quite cold.

The last boy I had castrated was very swollen, the Vet said keep an eye on it but he was ok after a few days. At least they are eating so no need to worry about that.

The last boy I had castrated was very swollen, the Vet said keep an eye on it but he was ok after a few days. At least they are eating so no need to worry about that.
Yep, the fact that they’re eating, weeing and pooing is the most important thing. Everything else can be sorted as and when. Just had cuddles with both of them and they look less swollen than they were. Will let them relax overnight and maybe try putting them both in the carrier together with the top down and my hand in there to intervene if necessary, or maybe I won’t try it. At least I have two carriers so can keep them seperate when they go for their check up on Sunday!

Back