• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pickle and Beans have been neutered U/D fighting

Sounds like you've got the situation well sorted, think you've done the right thing, give them both chance to heal. Hope they get on ok at the vets. Nose rubs boys, be nice to each other xxxx

I'm sorry this has happened, but I don't think you had any option other than to separate. Hopefully they will go back together again easily. I also hope that their wounds settle down.

So this morning, Beans was, well full of beans! Pickle however was sat hunched up and although he nibbled the fresh hay I gave him, hadn’t touched his pellets overnight. Quick phone to the vets and they were happy for me to take him straight down. Vet checked him over, it looks like he’s had a small nibble to one of his wounds, I certainly hadn’t noticed it last night. He’s had an injection of gut stimulant and has got loxicom twice a day. I know we were out for about an hour and a half, but I’ve never seen a bunny drink so much when we got back. Maybe he was trying to wash away the taste of the loxicom? The vets suggested I buy a premature baby babygrow to put on him to stop him nibbling his wound as they hadn’t got a small enough pet shirt in stock. Have been out and bought one, but am leaving him to settle before I start manhandling him and trying to get holes in the right places. He’s currently sat eating hay, so fingers crossed he’s on the mend.

Last edited:
Poor Pickles. He must have felt a bit of discomfort and had a chew at the stitches. Glad that you were able to see the vet and they acted quickly with gut stimulant and hopefully that'll sort him out. I hope the babygrow is appropriate for him - he has his street cred to consider. But he's a nethie so.....good luck to you getting that on him. I've got a Henry and I know exactly what you will go through. Topping up vibes for the two gorgeous buns Pickles and Beans xx

Well, I got the babygrow on him... but he’s so tiny, even with it being a tiny baby one, he walked out of it! Just hoping he leaves his wound alone. Looked for the proper rabbit babygrow on Amazon, but earliest delivery is Thursday. Have managed to order a cat one in a kitten size, but it’s not a brand I know and doesn’t have great reviews but it’ll be delivered sometime tomorrow, so fingers crossed. He’s much brighter now, still not eating pellets but tucking into his hay.

Both seem to be doing well, Pickle has even had a nibble of his pellets. Phew! Both are back for a check up tomorrow morning. Just got to work out how to divide up the kitchen now.

Glad he's eating pellets now, good boy Pickle. Walking out of his baby gro, oh bless him :love: lots of vibes for vets visit to go well xx

Topping up the vibes for them both. I hope it gets less stressful from now on and also that their vet visit goes well tomorrow.

Bunnies have been back for their check up this morning. Both demonstrated how well they are by trying to escape over my shoulder several times! Yesterday morning, Pickle took his loxicom without any fuss, by his evening dose it was more of a battle, so
I knew he was feeling better. I haven’t given him any today as he is behaving normally. Vet nurse was pleased with how they are both healing, there’s been no more wound nibbling, so they just need a final check up in a week’s time.
After they’d recovered from the vet trip, I experimented by putting them both in the carrier. Pickle was visibly anxious when Beans joined him. Beans had a look around, nibbled hay and then approached Pickle. They were nose to nose and Pickle put his head down requesting a groom. Beans took offence to this and went to box him, I was poised and so had them separated before any physical contact was made. I’m actually really encouraged by this as when I made the decision to seperate them, they were going straight for each other in that situation.
We’ve got the kitchen diner divided up now, sadly not equal sizes, but will swap them over each day. I’ve taken the folding divider we use in the shed to give them extra space if they’re locked indoors due to bad weather to divide the kitchen. I thought I was going to have to add extra mesh to it but fortunately, the bars are close enough that they can’t squeeze through. It does mean that they can poke a nose through to each other. After they’d explored the new set up, Pickle went over to where Beans was at the divide. I think I heard him give a little honk, which he often does when approaching Beans. They nose bumped through the bars several times, but have now wandered off to snooze in different places. I’ve seen Pickle eating pellets today too, which I hadn’t done yesterday. Feeling a lot happier about it all today, sorry for the epic!

This all sounds positive, really hope they settle down soon and you can get them back together again. In the meantime the setup sounds ideal for their situation.

I hope they are still doing well. Fingers crossed that they will rebond easily when the time comes.

They’re doing really well now thanks. I’ve just started a new thread over in behaviour etc about their interactions.

Back