• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bald patches

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
I have noticed that Zippy has patches where his fur is much thinner. It is not sore or red and there is no scab. I can't see any mites (my first thought) and both the other buns' fur is fine. Like most buns he becomes mega stressed at the vet so I have just been keeping an eye on it. I did wonder if he was just moulting unevenly. He is behaving normally in every way.

After I cleaned them out I had some spare time so I sat and watched them with a coffee and I noticed Flopsy grooming Zippy. I was really pleased as it was Zippy who was the difficult one when I tried to bond the trio and I ended up putting puppy pens into the enclosure to separate him from the other two. When I had some time off work I removed the puppy pen and all seemed well. Now we have grooming :love:

However ......... the area Flopsy was grooming was exactly where Zippy is missing fur and Flopsy was very enthusiastic. I am wondering if this is why the fur is missing or if Flopsy is just trying to keep the area clean for Zippy. Can buns overgroom?

I have had reminders that it has been six months since Zippy's RHD 2 so I am taking him to the vet later today anyway as I want to check if he does have mites.

Just wondered if anyone had any ideas what could be causing Zippy's patchiness? He looks a bit moth eaten but is behaving perfectly normally and the area is not at all sore.

The vet said half the bunnies he sees at the moment look like Zippy - he is almost certain it is a moult. He brushed Zippy and then looked at the fur under a microscope and couldn't see any mites. He said the new hair is growing in the bald patches, there is no redness or scabbiness or soreness. He has put on a little weight but that is because they have been having more pellets as Flopsy is still young and growing. I've been giving them carrots to nom on too as well as their herbs and spring greens. They have dandelion leaves this evening - my garden has loads of them:)

I didn't have the RHD 2 as the vet did not think Zippy was at high risk. It would have cost about the same as I paid the £37 consultation fee but I don't want to over-vaccinate Zippy and the vet thought annual vaccinations were sufficient given where I live and Zippy's lifestyle.

Am relieved Zippy is just moulting but I feel bad for stressing him out for nothing. He was shaking in the carrier and breathing really fast:(:(

At least you know now what it possibly is but sorry he got so upset. He will calm down now he is back home. :thumb:

Poor Zippy, glad it's just the moult though, and not mites. Oh yes the dreaded vet visit, it must be so scary for them. Nose rubs for Zippy xx

Don’t feel bad about stressing him, you needed to discuss with the vet vaccinations and you got the vet to look at his fur too, which was concerning you. If anything you saved him the stress of an extra trip to the vets to check his fur as well as a trip about his vaccinations. I’m just glad it wasn’t anything to worry about. I think vets must be used to us turning up and starting a conversation with, “It’s probably nothing, but....”. Mine is certainly used to me saying, “I’m probably just being a neurotic bunny owner, but...”.

The vet said half the bunnies he sees at the moment look like Zippy - he is almost certain it is a moult. He brushed Zippy and then looked at the fur under a microscope and couldn't see any mites. He said the new hair is growing in the bald patches, there is no redness or scabbiness or soreness. He has put on a little weight but that is because they have been having more pellets as Flopsy is still young and growing. I've been giving them carrots to nom on too as well as their herbs and spring greens. They have dandelion leaves this evening - my garden has loads of them:)

I didn't have the RHD 2 as the vet did not think Zippy was at high risk. It would have cost about the same as I paid the £37 consultation fee but I don't want to over-vaccinate Zippy and the vet thought annual vaccinations were sufficient given where I live and Zippy's lifestyle.

Am relieved Zippy is just moulting but I feel bad for stressing him out for nothing. He was shaking in the carrier and breathing really fast:(:(

There is actually a confirmed outbreak of RHD2 in southhampton

Copied and pasted from a post on Facebook by Ros Lamb, a RWAF Director , on 29th April 2019.

''Reported to us by the BRC

**CONFIRMED** RVHD2 in Southampton, SO30''

Personally I really would consider getting Zippy Vaccinated ASAP and any other Rabbits you have who have not been vaccinated with Filavac in the last 6 months.

I'm a reasonable distance from Southampton but have tomorrow off work so will spend some time reading up about RHD 2 and how it is transmitted so I can make a more informed decision. Thank you, Jane.

Back