• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dash Stasis-He is gone

Really hoping it was just the buprenorphine and that he is improved. Many hugs for you and vibes for dear Dash. (((((((((((((((Hugs and vibes)))))))))))))))))) xxxxx

On Monday morning Dash was so weak I did not think he would survive long enough for our vet appointment in the afternoon. He got syringe fed, and fluids. When I called to cancel my own doctor's appointment and then I called my youngest sister to tell her I could not pick up her son after school. She offered to come over to bunny sit and hold Dash so I could wash up and to give me support. After I washed up, I saw Dash enjoying his snuggles in his aunt's arms, getting lots of warmth. Dash was comfortable so she continued to hold him as we talked until she had to leave to get her son from school. Dash then got more syringe feed, motility meds, and Medicam before going to the vet. By then his eyes were brighter and he was still weak, yet I felt he had a chance to recover, as did the vet. Vet mentioned he may be having some side effects from all the meds he has been getting, in addition to being exhausted. He had some fecal matter in his colon that he was not passing, so we decided to try an enema to add lubrication. Dash took it well and a few hours later he was passing a small amount of fecal material and he was nibbling a green and couple pieces of hay. Over the next couple of hours he slowly ate a few greens and a few more strands of hay. He also drank some water on his own. While he is still weak and far from being recovered, I am encouraged that Dash still wants to be with us. He is having bouts of tummy cramping so I may try to adjust his medication dosage or frequency while still keeping his system moving.
It is 4am and I am so afraid to close my eyes. I will try to dream of him Dashing to me so fast he cannot always stop in time, then standing on his hind legs begging over and over for more greens.

On Monday morning Dash was so weak I did not think he would survive long enough for our vet appointment in the afternoon. He got syringe fed, and fluids. When I called to cancel my own doctor's appointment and then I called my youngest sister to tell her I could not pick up her son after school. She offered to come over to bunny sit and hold Dash so I could wash up and to give me support. After I washed up, I saw Dash enjoying his snuggles in his aunt's arms, getting lots of warmth. Dash was comfortable so she continued to hold him as we talked until she had to leave to get her son from school. Dash then got more syringe feed, motility meds, and Medicam before going to the vet. By then his eyes were brighter and he was still weak, yet I felt he had a chance to recover, as did the vet. Vet mentioned he may be having some side effects from all the meds he has been getting, in addition to being exhausted. He had some fecal matter in his colon that he was not passing, so we decided to try an enema to add lubrication. Dash took it well and a few hours later he was passing a small amount of fecal material and he was nibbling a green and couple pieces of hay. Over the next couple of hours he slowly ate a few greens and a few more strands of hay. He also drank some water on his own. While he is still weak and far from being recovered, I am encouraged that Dash still wants to be with us. He is having bouts of tummy cramping so I may try to adjust his medication dosage or frequency while still keeping his system moving.
It is 4am and I am so afraid to close my eyes. I will try to dream of him Dashing to me so fast he cannot always stop in time, then standing on his hind legs begging over and over for more greens.

I am really hoping that Dash's determination to remain with you will pull him through this severe relapse. As always I am thinking of you and sending Dash millions of vibes xx

Hang in there Dash! (And you too, bunny momma) I really hope he will recover completely soon. ((((((((((((((Vibes)))))))))))))) xxxxx

I have replied to your PM but just wanted to add some extra special vibes here too. You are all very much in my thoughts. Dash has the very best care giver and I so hope that he can pull through xx

Dash is still fighting.
He will eat a few greens or drink water sometimes . Then he just wants to sit.
He is passing some unformed or semi formed fecal matter.
His tummy is bubbling and gassy now.

I want to thank Jane for the prompt reply to my pm. Dash and I also thank all our ru friends for the good thoughts.I read them to Dash and got a warm feeling in my heart.

Dash is still fighting.
He will eat a few greens or drink water sometimes . Then he just wants to sit.
He is passing some unformed or semi formed fecal matter.
His tummy is bubbling and gassy now.

I want to thank Jane for the prompt reply to my pm. Dash and I also thank all our ru friends for the good thoughts.I read them to Dash and got a warm feeling in my heart.

Dash is one determined little Bunny and he is fighting so hard to get through this crisis. Having a Bunny with a chronic gut problem can be so emotionally draining as we never know if said Bunny will be able to pull through a relapse.

Sending millions more vibes for him :love:

Thank you ru friends.
He continues to pass fecal material that is unformed.
He is not eating enough and it is taking longer to give critical care food.
He did enjoy being held a lot.
I wish I had a crystal ball to know the right answers.

Back