• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dash Stasis-He is gone

I am really sorry that Dash has relapsed again :cry: How long ago is it since his last full blood profile and abdominal Xray ?

Do his gut motility meds include Ranitidine (AKA Zantac) ?

Sending lots more vibes for him

Vet says X-rays would not help because he is such a small bunny. He suggested we would need a CT scan. He has Cisapride and Metocloprimide for motility meds. Cisapride has to be compounded since not available commercially in USA. What part of the gut does Zantac work on?

Spouse came home at 10:30pm and twice held Dash to give him some rubs on his side. Dash seemed to enjoy and was looking around and had his ears up. Dash then made a huge wee on spouse, so he is processing the sub Q fluids he got earlier. Dash is not very active and not eager to eat much (so unlike Dash who eats food very quickly). I am glad that he eventually nibbles the few greens he gets every couple of hours. At this point I believe he has eaten enough greens that I do not need to syringe feed critical care. Plus, he already has a lot of material in his gut. I still have not seen any fresh poo since I returned from supermarket almost ten hours ago. It is now 3:15am and I will be monitoring him as long as I can stay awake.

Sending lots of vibes for Dash, and hugs to you xx
Dash and I appreciate your kind thoughts. Dash and his littermate, Evan, both had digestive issues since they were very young. Even though Dash's issue seemed to be more serious, it was Evan-who an itty bitty bunny- who died in December.
I am so afraid. Dash improved yesterday morning and passed a good amount of poos, only to relapse hours later with a more intense and painful stasis incident. I feel bad that I left him to go to the supermarket when I thought he was feeling much better. I am hoping and praying that he will be able to improve again so I can continue to enjoy my very smart, alert, nice, and athletic bunny boy.

Vet says X-rays would not help because he is such a small bunny. He suggested we would need a CT scan. He has Cisapride and Metocloprimide for motility meds. Cisapride has to be compounded since not available commercially in USA. What part of the gut does Zantac work on?

Spouse came home at 10:30pm and twice held Dash to give him some rubs on his side. Dash seemed to enjoy and was looking around and had his ears up. Dash then made a huge wee on spouse, so he is processing the sub Q fluids he got earlier. Dash is not very active and not eager to eat much (so unlike Dash who eats food very quickly). I am glad that he eventually nibbles the few greens he gets every couple of hours. At this point I believe he has eaten enough greens that I do not need to syringe feed critical care. Plus, he already has a lot of material in his gut. I still have not seen any fresh poo since I returned from supermarket almost ten hours ago. It is now 3:15am and I will be monitoring him as long as I can stay awake.

Zantac (Ranitidine) works on the lower GI tract but it is also an anti GI tract ulcer medication. Rabbits with chronic gut problems can be prone to GI tract ulceration

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Ranitidine.htm

I really hope Dash will start to improve soon xx

Dash still has not produced any poos. It is almost 24 hours since he made any poo. He was a bit more comfortable this morning and was eating greens regularly. I called the vet and he got in to the vets 40 minutes later. Vet felt a lot of material in his cecum. Of course Dash was in the carrier playing with the towel as I was telling the vet how sick Dash was feeling. Vet felt a lot of material in his cecum and he was not gasey/painful at the time. I was instructed to do Critical care to supplement his eating some greens. He was well-hydrated and I was to get some oral fluids into him too. Vet did not want to add any more meds.
Dash came home and got critical care and shortly afterward he was less active. A couple hours later Dash had a very distended/firm tummy. I took him for a ride in the car and drove toward the vet office. Dash seemed a little less bloated from ride, yet he was still uncomfortable, so I went into the office even though vet was on lunch. Vet saw Dash and of course during a short wait Dash's tummy became less firm. Vet felt some gas, yet Dash decided to perk up, raise up his ears and play with his towel. There was nothing new to do and Dash did not require more potent pain relief at that point, so I went home again. Dash got more meds when he got home so I am now back to waiting for poo.
I could also use a good rest, so I think I will take a nap and dream of nice poos.

only 1 poo 845pm. still poorly.got cisapride hour ago.igiving rubs and feel lots of contractions/.
he got medicam and critical care too. fluids earlier.
he watching me write this one hand,rubs other.
need poo vibes

Hello RU friends. Dash got lots of extra rubs after getting his meds and supportive care. By 3:15am I went upstairs to try to get some rest, yet I could not relax and began crying and thinking the worst knowing Dash was so unwell. At 4am I went downstairs to find Dash had made a huge mucus covered poo along with some jelly/mucus and a couple small irregular poos. Seeing he had hope allowed me to get some sleep. At 8am he was nibbling some hay and made a few more poos-very irregular in size and shape. By noon I cleaned his litterbox to monitor if he is still pooing. His cecum is about half the size from last night, yet it still contains a lot of material that is firm. His rear is very wet from pee (it was already getting wet at vets and vet confirmed pee, not watery poo). He got another hour of pets, rubs. Dash is still not drinking water and he already used up the fluids he got last night so he got some sub Q fluids and more Cisapride.
I am hoping he can soften and pass more of the material in his cecum. He will get some more critical care later.
Your positive vibes must have helped Dash, I know they helped me.
Now I am hoping he does not have another relapse and he can continue to improve.

I'm pleased that Dash has started to pass some poos, I'm sending lots and lots of pooping vibes for him, and hope that he is soon back to normal. Also hope you manage to get some decent sleep, looking after and worrying about a poorly bunny is exhausting, big hugs xxxx

Thank you all for your additional vibes. It means a lot to both Dash and I.

Dash was not happy when I was giving him the Critical Care, so I persisted even though he and I both got messy. Dash only wants greens, yet I must limit his greens in an attempt to get him to eat more hay which has larger fiber pieces in an attempt to get his cecum to empty more. He is putting on his best begging act, still I have to be strong.

Back