• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dash Stasis-He is gone

Just adding my vibes for Dash. The wait for then to start producing poos is awful [emoji17].

I really hope the gut meds and CC start to work soon.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Bless him :cry: Can you hear any gut sounds ? Not sure if you have a stethoscope ? If you have access to a Blood Glucose Monitor then it may be a good idea to do a check.

I have an older version of this

https://www.accu-chek.co.uk/blood-glucose-meters/performa-nano

I heard/felt some gut sounds after his cisapride as I syringed critical care. It feels like material is now lower on left side too.
Vet off and no glucose monitor. I could ask techs to check if no improvement.

Thanks to you and all ru friends for support.

I heard/felt some gut sounds after his cisapride as I syringed critical care. It feels like material is now lower on left side too.
Vet off and no glucose monitor. I could ask techs to check if no improvement.

Thanks to you and all ru friends for support.

I really hope he is improving by now (0530hrs UK Time) ?

Still no poo and not eating.
He got syringe fed ,fluids, motility and pain meds --plus tummy rubs.
I must get rest now and will check him in a couple hours.
More vibes please . We are so worried.

Dash is still with me, yet he still has not produced any poo. I don't know what else to try. I am thinking of calling my vet's office to see if I can take him for a glucose test even though the rabbit vet is not in today.

Dash is still with me, yet he still has not produced any poo. I don't know what else to try. I am thinking of calling my vet's office to see if I can take him for a glucose test even though the rabbit vet is not in today.

Personally I would do that. I would not administer any more syringe feeds. If he has obstructed then continuing to feed him will exacerbate things, but I know you are aware of that. The only 'home treatment' I'd continue til you can get to a Vet is fluid therapy, a heat pad and pain relief. Although pain relief given orally to an obstructed Rabbit may be of little benefit. But perhaps you have access in injectable analgesia ? A conscious abdominal Xray may also be useful to assess for signs of a full obstruction.

Sending millions more vibes for him

[/B]

Personally I would do that. I would not administer any more syringe feeds. If he has obstructed then continuing to feed him will exacerbate things, but I know you are aware of that. The only 'home treatment' I'd continue til you can get to a Vet is fluid therapy, a heat pad and pain relief. Although pain relief given orally to an obstructed Rabbit may be of little benefit. But perhaps you have access in injectable analgesia ? A conscious abdominal Xray may also be useful to assess for signs of a full obstruction.

Sending millions more vibes for him

You and I think alike. I told the reception person at vet's office I did not want to continue motility meds or critical care if he was obstructed. Thank you for the reminders in case I was too looney or sleep deprived to think clearly.
I just got back from vets and Dash's numbers are 129 (US) which is 7.2 (UK); so I know it is safe to continue to treat for stasis. He just got more motility meds and will get some critical care as soon as he settles. Dash's veins are so small they had to use a syringe to get a couple drops from his arm. His butt and tail were wet so I had techs clean him up a little. He was a very good boy. He is now home sitting in the area above the heating pad.

Pets Mum, Zoobec, Omi, Scrappy's little helper, and Jane

I means a lot to me that you sent your support and good thoughts to Dash and I.

His blood glucose test result is reassuring and I hope that with further medication he will show some signs of improvement. Sending him lots more vibes.

I'm glad the blood glucose came back ok so that you can carry on syringe feeding with worrying about possible obstructions.

Come on Dash, we really need some poops now please!

We're all sending millions of vibes for Dash from here - Lillian and Henry add their support and Lillian sends nose rubs for Dash. We hope he starts to pass some poop soon. xx

It was three days this morning around 8am he finally passed one very wide/long poo and a couple messy blobs of what looks like critical care, only stinky. He just got some more Cisapride. Dash also decided to eat a few dandelion leaves on his own. He is now washing himself. His tummy is still very full/firm so I know he will need a lot more care before he returns to his Dashing self.

We would appreciate more vibes for continued improvement.

It was three days this morning around 8am he finally passed one very wide/long poo and a couple messy blobs of what looks like critical care, only stinky. He just got some more Cisapride. Dash also decided to eat a few dandelion leaves on his own. He is now washing himself. His tummy is still very full/firm so I know he will need a lot more care before he returns to his Dashing self.

We would appreciate more vibes for continued improvement.

At last some output. I really hope that now things are starting to move through Dash will improve a lot. Has your Vet ever discussed the use of Domperidone to manage his chronic gut problems ?

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...epage&q=use of domperidone in rabbits&f=false

http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Common_drug_dosages_for_rabbits

Thank goodness you finally have some poo!

Sending over a million more vibes that he will continue to improve now he's managed to "uncork" himself.

Back