• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dash Stasis-He is gone

Thank you Jane and Zoobec.
You are too kind. I have learned so much from my friends at RU. What I learned most is how unpredictable stasis can be with bunnies.
I think the individual bunny (or hammy) has more to do with their improving than any support we give.
It can be so hard for us to see our beloved pet so very ill as we provide them with the support and encouragement they need; all while not knowing the outcome. Nothing can compare to the wonderful feeling we get when they improve.

This evening when I went to clean Dash's litter box two hours ago I picked up Dash and his tummy is very bloated. Even though his litterbox had pee and poo, the poo was likely from much earlier. He ate all his hay from morning, and he is still nibbling his greens, yet he was not as active as usual. He was already on a maintenance dose of Cisapride, so I gave him some Medicam and fluids. My spouse and I are monitoring him and we are hoping he will pass some poos soon. Please send Dash some positive vibes.

This evening when I went to clean Dash's litter box two hours ago I picked up Dash and his tummy is very bloated. Even though his litterbox had pee and poo, the poo was likely from much earlier. He ate all his hay from morning, and he is still nibbling his greens, yet he was not as active as usual. He was already on a maintenance dose of Cisapride, so I gave him some Medicam and fluids. My spouse and I are monitoring him and we are hoping he will pass some poos soon. Please send Dash some positive vibes.

I completely missed your post yesterday. I am sorry and I really hope that Dash has improved now ??

Dash and I send a huge thank you to all our RU friends. Several hours after getting two different motility meds, medicam, and lots of sub Q fluids Dash passed a five long log shaped poos. At that point his tummy was even larger and more bloated that earlier so I was not sure at what point in his system poos were from. It took another two hours before he passed two more poos at which point I got some rest. Two hours later I woke myself up and went downstairs to check on my Dash who gifted my tired eyes with lots of fresh poos. His tummy was still very full, yet he was active and begging for greens. I gave him a couple greens and got some more sleep. I cleaned his litterbox again when I was fully awake and am monitoring his poos several times a day.
Even though he remains on motility meds, his tummy still feels full. It does not seem to bother his activity level today and he is eating his hay and greens very quickly. I also wonder why he continues to eat hay and greens after his stomach is full to capacity. Perhaps he needs the new food to keep his digestive system moving.

I hope that Dash will continue to improve now. Chronic GI tract motility issues in a much loved Bunny can be really stressful to cope with. Dash is lucky to have you to help him :love:

Sorry, I missed this too. Pleased to hear that Dash is improving now, really hope that continues, sending loads of vibes for you both xxxxx

Last night while I was cleaning Dash's litterbox/area, spouse was holding Dash. Once I got done, I put a big bowl of greens on spouse's lap and Dash was eating it. Spouse said Dash was moving funny. Dash has been on a maintenance dose of Motility meds since his last episode just a couple weeks ago, yet his tummy sometimes feels full which I attributed to Dash eating so quickly all the time. Dash ate all of his greens quickly and was begging for more, yet several hours later he had not made any fresh poos. I gave him some Medicam and added a second motility drug and watched him overnight, regularly giving him a few fresh greens which he ate. By 5am he passed 2 larger than usual poos (but not the monster sized poos he made two weeks ago). Spouse checked him at 6:15am while getting ready for work and gave me the poo report that Dash passed 4 more poos. I got up at 8:30am and saw he made more poos so I thought he was going to be OK. He continued to eat green, make some more poos, and was active so after watching him all morning and part of the afternoon, I left him to run an errand and to get more greens.
When I came home at 5:30pm, about two hours after I left Dash, he was sitting near his water bottle and he was in pain. His tummy was very bloated and he was occasionally stretching his legs backwards as if he was straining. The true test is when he slowly came to smell the greens and picked them up, yet did not eat them. I gave him sub Q fluids, the maximum amount of medicam and a second motility med.

It is so hard seeing him uncomfortable, especially when he was so improving several hours ago. Please send Dash and I some positive vibes that his meds and supportive care will help him to feel better soon.

Last edited:
Last night while I was cleaning Dash's litterbox/area, spouse was holding Dash. Once I got done, I put a big bowl of greens on spouse's lap and Dash was eating it. Spouse said Dash was moving funny. Dash has been on a maintenance dose of Motility meds since his last episode just a couple weeks ago, yet his tummy sometimes feels full which I attributed to Dash eating so quickly all the time. Dash ate all of his greens quickly and was begging for more, yet several hours later he had not made any fresh poos. I gave him some Medicam and added a second motility drug and watched him overnight, regularly giving him a few fresh greens which he ate. By 5am he passed 2 larger than usual poos (but not the monster sized poos he made two weeks ago). Spouse checked him at 6:15am while getting ready for work and gave me the poo report that Dash passed 4 more poos. I got up at 8:30am and saw he made more poos so I thought he was going to be OK. He continued to eat green, make some more poos, and was active so after watching him all morning and part of the afternoon, I left him to run an errand and to get more greens.
When I came home at 5:30pm, about two hours after I left Dash, he was sitting near his water bottle and he was in pain. His tummy was very bloated and he was occasionally stretching his legs backwards as if he was straining. The true test is when he slowly came to smell the greens and picked them up, yet did not eat them. I gave him sub Q fluids, the maximum amount of medicam and a second motility med.

It is so hard seeing him uncomfortable, especially when he was so improving several hours ago. Please send Dash and I some positive vibes that his meds and supportive care will help him to feel better soon.

I am really sorry that Dash has relapsed again :cry: How long ago is it since his last full blood profile and abdominal Xray ?

Do his gut motility meds include Ranitidine (AKA Zantac) ?

Sending lots more vibes for him

Back